Esteemed Contributor

Re: Paula Deen to be on EVINE Live on March 24th

She just did a spot on E's Behind the curtain party, she looks almost too thin. Glad that she is back on air.

Honored Contributor

Yuck.

Her overpriced cookware is still sitting in huge piles at my local Ollie's.

Even THEY can't get rid of it!

Trusted Contributor

Does Levine own Evine? Same name without the L?

Esteemed Contributor

On 2/13/2015 mominohio said:

I've never been a fan of hers, but think the way she 'paid' for that comment, is beyond what others have had to pay. Joan Rivers got away with so much, but Q and her fans excused it away as 'comedy' and 'her job'. Not really so much the things she had to say the last few years of her life.

Seems like only some people are forgiven or excused for their bad behavior.

Totally agree -- Why dog pile on people? When people say they are sorry -- you have compliance. You don't keep hacking away at people's reputation and spirits. mominohio -- thank you for your kind and reasonable statement. Have a lovely valentine weekend.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Super Contributor

On 2/14/2015 ury said:
On 2/13/2015 mominohio said:

I've never been a fan of hers, but think the way she 'paid' for that comment, is beyond what others have had to pay. Joan Rivers got away with so much, but Q and her fans excused it away as 'comedy' and 'her job'. Not really so much the things she had to say the last few years of her life.

Seems like only some people are forgiven or excused for their bad behavior.

Totally agree -- Why dog pile on people? When people say they are sorry -- you have compliance. You don't keep hacking away at people's reputation and spirits. mominohio -- thank you for your kind and reasonable statement. Have a lovely valentine weekend.

I also agree.....an apology serves a purpose! Thank you for both the realistic and honest feedback!

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you, LL64. I just sent you a message on another post. Have a lovely weekend.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

I guess most of you have never heard of forgiveness, must be lots of perfect people on these boards.

Frequent Contributor

On 2/13/2015 chessylady said: Aside from her racist comment, she knew she had diabetes for several years while she was still pushing sugary buttery food on the public. She was waiting for a deal with a diabetes drug company before she went public. No respect for her.

A person's health is their own private business. She did not have to come forward with any revelation about her health, but she did anyway. As far as her "pushing sugary buttery food on the public" that is nonsense. Because she has diabetes does not mean that the planet has to adhere to a diabetic diet. She has an audience that she caters to. I like Paula, but she doesn't push anything on me that I don't want to eat. She probably assumes that people can decide for themselves what they want to consume. Before you go out to dinner next time, you had better check with the chef to make sure that his/her personal health concerns line up with what he/she is cooking Smiley Wink hahaha...just a little joke! Smiley Happy

Welcome back Paula, and God Bless You! XOXO I have total respect for you because you are not a quitter, and you took your beating publicly with grace. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I'm way past having any interest in what came out of her mouth regarding race or diabetes.

What I never liked was her type of cooking. I do NOT think it typifies the best of Southern cooking.

I recall going to the bookstore to check out her recipes, only to find so many that relied so heavily on fat, sugar, and processed food. Her famous Gooey Butter cake is a perfect example: box cake mix, three eggs, 16 tablespoons butter, 8 ounces cream cheese, vanilla, and 16 ounces powdered sugar. My teeth hurt just reading the ingredient list.

We prefer fresher, brighter flavors whenever possible. And btw, the idea that "comfort food" has to be all ooey-gooey dishes is simply untrue.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I'm glad she's coming back. Not to be controversial, but one has to look at some of her comments in context. I recall her statement that she liked to have black waiters dressed up in elegant black tie or something. Rather than a slam at black waiters, I think it is testament to the professionalism of the PARTICULAR MEN (I do believe she was talking about male waiters) whom she had seen on the job. If these individuals had done a bad job, this RESTAURANT OWNER would not have held them up as the ultimate in waitstaff. A friend's brother was a waiter at a top restaurant and, while white, made good money. These were not people who could just show up and do anything they wanted. Standards were high and not just ANYONE was allowed to do the job. In the context of my friend's brother's job requirements, I have to wonder whether she was being racist with that comment. Perhaps she considered the individuals she had hired as the ultimate in elegance and professionalism.