Honored Contributor

Paula Deen XXL Air Fryer Review Thread

I posted this on the original PD thread but since many people were interested in hearing reviews, I thought I would start a new one that would be easier to search and add reviews and questions:

It's here, it's here!

First thoughts:

• It's physically big.  As in if you have a small kitchen like I do I am glad I have an Origami cart to put it on (please note this is not mandatory but you will lose quite a bit of counter space).  It's not too heavy as I was able to carry it up a flight of stairs with no problems.

• It's quiet.  I have an original 2.2. qt. Cook's Companion and this has cut the noise level by at least half.

• It's well built and very solid.  No problem sliding the cooking container into and out of the oven itself.

• I hesitate to post this at this time but it seems kind of small to me to pop a turkey breast in there but I need to go to the store tomorrow and check out the size of both chickens and a turkey breast.  I made four take and bake french rolls just now and they came out beautifully brown and crusty.  That will be lunch today . . . Smiley Happy

• The accessories are nice and I am glad they are included especially the toast rack.

Bottom line is besides it appearing to be a bit small-ish (and again that is to be determined) it is a keeper for me and I'm glad I took the plunge!

Honored Contributor

Re: Paula Deen XXL Air Fryer Review Thread

I know my 5.3 qt is louder then my 3.2 qt. so I wondered hoe loud hers was.

That's a problem if a turkey will not fit in it. I have made the boneless turkey breasts in the 3.2 & made the bone-in turkey in the 5.3. You could always cut off part of the bone so it will fit better. Guess you could Spatchcock it.

My counters are full at this point with a bread box, vacuum sealer, toaster, knife sharpener, coffee maker, paper towel holder, Vitamix, bread machine, Kitchenaid mixer & crock full of most used utensils. I admit I have a lot of counter space from what I have seen in other homes. Don't know how they manage as I would only want more not less since we both like to cook.

Respected Contributor

I have very little counter space in my kitchen. Occasionally used appliances are stored on a shelf in my garage in their original boxes. My coffee maker and toaster oven are the only appliances  on my kitchen counter. So far I have resisted buying an air fryer since I rarely fry anything and they look huge. My Instant Pot is stored in my kitchen since I use it so often.

Frequent Contributor

@momtochloe I also got the air fryer today. Did you do a residue burn off?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Actually @Hellcat64, I just washed everything out and threw the french rolls in there.  There was a little bit of an odor at first but it burned off and didn't effect the taste at all.

Frequent Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

Actually @Hellcat64, I just washed everything out and threw the french rolls in there.  There was a little bit of an order at first but it burned off and didn't effect the taste at all.

Thanks for answering. I'm in the middle of cooking 4 acorn squash halves. This is a remarkably quiet machine. I like the one basket system with the insert. I hope those silicone tabs hold up!

Respected Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

• I hesitate to post this at this time but it seems kind of small to me to pop a turkey breast in there

Bottom line is besides it appearing to be a bit small-ish (and again that is to be determined) it is a keeper for me and I'm glad I took the plunge!

======================================

I'm surprised.  It looked huge on TV.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Trusted Contributor

I just got mine, washed the insert and heated up a lice of pizza. It is super quiet! And, I think it will be big enough for a small turkey breast, which is fine for just me! I didn't read the manual and got the dials switched when I set it, but figured that out and the pizza is hot and bubbly. Can't wait to try some more things!!!

Frequent Contributor

Update on my acorn squash halves. They came out great. Took about 40 min. at about 350 degrees. Basted them with some butter and brown sugar. Clean up was so easy. I really like the granite ware look of the basket and insert. The square shape of the basket is the way to go. You can utilize the space pretty efficiently. Also like the stainless interior. All in all am happy with this purchase.

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

• I hesitate to post this at this time but it seems kind of small to me to pop a turkey breast in there

======================================

I'm surprised.  It looked huge on TV.

@RinaRina I guess I have the same problem with air fryers that I do with jewelry as it always looks bigger on TV too . . . . Smiley Happy

Like @Lisa now in AZ I cook for one so this is perfect for me.  Since my other fryer was too small for just about anything, I have to take a better look at the size of whole chickens and turkey breasts to see what will fit in there (Trader Joe's carries a fresh, half turkey breast which will be perfect for Paula's machine so either way I am getting fried turkey breast in the near future).