Respected Contributor

Re: Paula Deen 5.3 quart Air Fryer

I am glad to read thru this thread and will continue to check for it. I succumb to temptation , the constant selling of them everywhere, promise of good health, and signed up for the PD large one on Evine.

I gleaned through the reviews and will be sure to follow the prep that the instructions are supposed to give before using. I also saw a couple of reviews that stated the 'cajun red' was more orange than red , so I went with black. Some also said the control information on them wipes off easily??? so I guess will not use harsh cleansers and see if that works -- I hate when that happens --I have had that happen to other small appliances.

I have warned my other counter top appliances that a big boy is coming to the neighborhood! Smiley Happy It is fairly large. So I hope it earns the real estate.

Esteemed Contributor

@okaywitheasypay, I look forward to your review when you receive it.  I haven't placed an order yet, but I plan to before the end of the month, if they stay in inventory that long.

I have cajun red in the smaller PD air fryer.  I would say it's more of a pink-red than orange-red, but either way, it is a more faded red and not quite as deep as Fiesta's Scarlet, to use one example.  I will order white next time around, to go with all the other white appliances in my kitchen. 

Honored Contributor

Burn off?  What burn off?  I have a Cooks Essentials and an Emeril LaGasse and I didn't do this to either one.  No problems. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@depglass wrote:

Burn off?  What burn off?  I have a Cooks Essentials and an Emeril LaGasse and I didn't do this to either one.  No problems. 

@depglass, I have the smaller PD air fryer and like yours, mine didn't come with instructions to do this prep either.  I suppose it may be specific to the 5.3 quart fryer?  If you go to Evine and read the reviews for this item, you will see there are many that mention this particular issue.

I am willing to give the 5.3 quart a try and if the "burn" or "prep" step doesn't help with any potential finish issue straight out of the box, then I will have 30 days to return it.  My problems with my fryer occur several months in, when the finish fails due to chipping, which is I believe a totally different issue.

Respected Contributor

I recieved it about 3 days ago. WOW it is big. I believe it will earn it's plot of counter space ,  if just for the french fries alone. I made hm sweet potato fries the first day and they were better than any I ever made or bought. I warmed up purchased crinkle fries for DH and he liked them. I also warmed up a purchased salmon cake . I am anxious to experiment.

It is easy to clean. I did the 'burn off' that I had read about in reviews and so far no problem.

I always try to wait and then hopefully remember to post a formal  review after I have used a product for several months.

Esteemed Contributor

@okaywitheasypay

@MKR14

@JeanLouiseFinch

@Ilovetea,

I just received my Paula Deen 5.3 quart air fryer.  I have a quick question.  Are the prep instructions before initial use written or posted somewhere other than on this forum and in the product reviews?  I have searched through the box and instructions three times and I don't see this mentioned. 

I will happily do as you all have suggested here and as mentioned in the reviews, but I wonder why I can't find it in any instructions.  By the way, my unit looks great inside and out.  I see no loose flecks at all. 

Unless one of you tells me otherwise, I will wash and dry the parts, then do the prep of 400 degrees for 20 minutes, then cool down completely, followed by another wash and dry.  

Respected Contributor

@SHOPR Ihad gleaned from the reviews on Evine that instructions to do a 'burn off' were in the instructions , but I don't see any there either. I did see it in several reviews and did as you described and I followed it. I am glad I did as at least there were some chemical smells that came off and I never noticed any again. I did raise my window and turned on the ceiling fan , although the smell was no worse than when I use my self cleaning function on the oven. What can it hurt? Smiley Happy

So far it works just beautifully . Nothing has flecked .I mainly spray it clean and dry it in the dish drainer.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@okaywitheasypay @SHOPR.    I never saw any instructions with the air fryer book to do this burnoff. I just washed the basket twice and did this myself. It worked like a charm. It is a nice air fryer.  I decided to just keep my Emeril air fryer. I hope all works out for you. I never had any flaking problem after I washed twice and did the burnoff and washed again. Perfect after that! Good luck. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@okaywitheasypay

@MKR14

I appreciate your replies.  I will update if anything odd occurs, but so far so good and I'm looking forward to cooking with it.  :-)  Prep and washing is done.  The smell was really, really terrible :-( and much worse than the smell from the PD smaller air fryer when I first got it.  Hopefully that smell is a thing of the past.

Honored Contributor

Looks nice