Valued Contributor

Re: Paula Deen 5.3 quart Air Fryer

@SHOPR wrote:

@okaywitheasypay

@MKR14

@JeanLouiseFinch

@Ilovetea,

I just received my Paula Deen 5.3 quart air fryer.  I have a quick question.  Are the prep instructions before initial use written or posted somewhere other than on this forum and in the product reviews?  I have searched through the box and instructions three times and I don't see this mentioned. 

I will happily do as you all have suggested here and as mentioned in the reviews, but I wonder why I can't find it in any instructions.  By the way, my unit looks great inside and out.  I see no loose flecks at all. 

Unless one of you tells me otherwise, I will wash and dry the parts, then do the prep of 400 degrees for 20 minutes, then cool down completely, followed by another wash and dry.  

I only read reviews before my unit arrived talking about flakes and chunks of the finish coming off and a few more about needing to do the prep or burn in to keep that from happening. When mine came it already had a chunk that had popped off and flakes that came off when I washed it the first time. I only did a 15 minute prep but nothing has popped off since.

Trusted Contributor

I own this airfryer, and love it, can definately do alot more airfrying due to the size.   Never had any problems with the basket peeling.

Just rec'd my air fryer a couple of days ago. Pre-washed all accessories and baskets, which I would do with any new appliance. Turned it on, odd smell one minute or less. So far, so good, no flaking and I like it! I waited to purchase until a larger capacity, ceramic non-stick,  and higher wattage were available.

A word of warning, if you plan on storing accessories inside the machine, remove them before pre-heating the machine. Keep accessories in plastic so they don't scratch the finish (been taking these types of precautions for years).

Planning on making plantain because I love it! Tradiitonally, supposed to peel,  slice on diagonal, soak in salted water, deep fry 'til done, remove, squash flatten, return to oil for another quick fry. Am going to do the air fry version. If you have perfected this plantain recipe please post!

Respected Contributor

@MKR14  Can you tell me how wide (at the bottom) the PD basket is on the inside?

I have the CE one from here but it is too small.  I want a larger one, but need the width and not the height.  I want a wider one to fit more food in a single layer such as chicken strips or fish.

I really want the Paula Dean one if the basket is somewhat wider.  I like the square shape better too! 

I will still use my smaller one for potatoes, fries and things that don't need to be in a single layer.  I would actually like two anyway, one for the meat and one for the side.

Thank you!

Trusted Contributor

The inside basket is 9 1/2 x 9 1/2 x 4 in.

Respected Contributor

@hayseed00, Thank you!