Honored Contributor

I have been thinking of purchasing can organizers for my kitchen pantry. Do you have them and if so, do they work well? It appears I could triple the storage and have been looking at several different brands, some of which are three tiers high.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Respected Contributor

They sell those modulars in many places. Martha Stewart has a section in stores for organization and many of her items are especially made for the pantry, same for home depot, bed bath and beyond, and other places.

You may also find suitable items in the container store on line, or wherever these type of units are sold.

"Of course using common sense and measuring your space before you go shopping always helps".

Respected Contributor

The one's I've ever tried were more of a pain than they were worth. They hold less than just stacking them and didn't fit well in my storage areas. Too big in my pantry and not big enough down in my storage room.

If you try them, measure your space and start from there.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Trusted Contributor

My experience is that they look like a good idea and they sound like a good idea, but in reality they really don't help much. It is one of those items you can easily be talked into buying because it appears to address a universal problem we would all like to have solved, but...those gadgets really didn't help me at all. When I first put them in it look fantastic. After a short while, I took them out and donated them to the Goodwill. I till have one area that has a pull out rack for spices that I got at QVC and I do find it handy, but it takes up more space than if I had just left the spices stacked on the self.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Respected Contributor

LOL, I think I got mine at Costco or Sams. Seemed like a good thing at the time.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor
On 3/15/2015 debc said:

The one's I've ever tried were more of a pain than they were worth. They hold less than just stacking them and didn't fit well in my storage areas. Too big in my pantry and not big enough down in my storage room.

If you try them, measure your space and start from there.

Agree. I've tried and haven't found anything that actually works. You can organize, but you will lose space in doing so.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Esteemed Contributor

I'll agree that they were more a pain than they're worth. I had the ones for the fridge to dispense soda cans, too. Till we stopped drinking soda. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Buy a couple from HD to try if you're curious. Stack some soups, etc and see how you like them.

Small investment to see how they'd work for you.

Honored Contributor

Is this like the ones you can use in the refrigerator for soft drink cans? I have one of those and it is a bit of a pain. I use a few different types of soft drinks and, since I only drink one every several days - or weeks - you have to keep pulling a bunch out to get the one you want. Well, I guess it would be good if you just had ONE kind of soft drink.

As for in the cabinets, you'd probably have to use a LOT of canned foods for it to be even worthwhile at all. They will still take up more space than just the cans, as somebody else already said.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for all your responses. I can't say I'm surprised but wanted to get others' opinions on the organizers. I may try one or two to see how they work for soups and fruits but won't pay too much in case they aren't satisfactory for even these items.

I do have the one for soda cans and the cans go crooked or fall out when inserting and removing a can if it isn't completely full. So, that doesn't work well either.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Respected Contributor

I bought some of the clear plastic organizers for the pantry at Costco about 6 weeks ago. They were a deal, about $12 for 5 of them in a box (different sizes).

I like them, but don't think they are a necessity for canned goods. I like some of the sizes for holding packaged foods the best. That way the packages stay upright and neat. I sort them in alphabetical order.