Super Contributor

Re: Painful Hand Dryness and Cooking

My son welds, and, while I don't remember the details, even tho he wears gloves he has lots of trouble with his hands being dry and cracked. He recently learned of Virgin Coconut Oil (on Reddit, of course) and that has worked wonders for him.

Of course, when I mention it to him, he doesn't listen. Been telling him of it for years. Just like his dad.

Esteemed Contributor

I get this as well. For me, Josie Maran's argan balm and First Aid Beauty hand cream/cream in the tub work for me. The balm I usually use at night time but will apply more often depending on what chores I'm doing. The First Air Beauty line of products work well and are budget friendly. I purchase the largest size of the cream and just apply that about four times a day. It's great because it also works on small medical issues (posion ivy, itcy spots, etc)  Both products last thru multiple hand washings which is my favorite perk.  I hope you get the same good results that I do.  

Honored Contributor

Cutemol cream and Cerave in the gray pump jar with the blue label.  

Honored Contributor

My hands always get like this when it turns to Fall/Winter. It is so painful. I use tons of lotion.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

After heavy prepping, cooking, washing in the kitchen during the winter, I have somewhat solved the problem of cracked painful skin by using Costco's "Clean Ones"--boxes of 500 "super strong high-density polyethylene disposable gloves".

I may use up to six or eight of these VERY inexpensive  throw-away gloves while preparing a big meal,  and always when handling raw meat. 

They eliminate the need to keep washing your hands every time you handle some food.

Also use them for certain light cleaning jobs, such as using stainless steel cleaner on kitchen appliances or hand-washing a dish or two.

The other cure for my cracked skin, after  most cooking has been done, is to go out to eat so that my hands don't get in so much water for a few days and healing of the cracks can occur.

Honored Contributor

Always wear rubber gloves for housework of any kind 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jackthebear

Rubber gloves are for  heavy-duty  household cleaning jobs.  Something easier to get on your hands and  a bit less heavy (and more disposable)  is needed for handling food.  Just my opinion.

Honored Contributor

I use Dr. Bonner's soap at home and I have a small one at work that I use there.  It's very moisturizing.

As @novamc1 stated, rubber gloves always any time I touch water.  This is more for maintaining my manicure, but it's a habit now.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

@jackthebear

Rubber gloves are for  heavy-duty  household cleaning jobs.  Something easier to get on your hands and  a bit less heavy (and more disposable)  is needed for handling food.  Just my opinion.

I don't think one needs gloves for food handling at home.

although on the rare ocassion I make meatload I will use latex gloves

Valued Contributor

don't use hand sanitizers thinking thatit is better than washing your hands , It is nt , The constant alcohol on your skin is much worse thansoap and water . Use a mild soap like a castile soap or dr, bronners is really good , Alsotry keefes hand cream and at night aquaphor and gloves. You can mix some hydro cortizone ointment[any brand otc] in with the aquaphor for faster healling.

cathy from ma