Trusted Contributor

Re: Painful Hand Dryness and Cooking

Just be happy you don't have Psoriasis.  You have to deal with this on a daily basis and their is no amount of cream lotion or potion will help because there is no cure.

Respected Contributor

Best thing I have found is CeraVe creme recommended by my dermartologist.  He said to use the creme, not the lotion.  It works like a charm.  No sense spending alot of money for moisturesand skin conditioners, etc. when this drugstore product actually seems to heal cracked and very dry, flaky skin.

After 3 weeks in the hospital, I came home with skin looking like a turtle.  All nice and back to normal now thanks to CeraVe.

Trusted Contributor

I have eczema, and my hands are always on the dry side.  I get relief from CeraVe cream.  The cream works much better than the lotion form for me.  My dermatologist suggested I try it.  I use it several times a day, and always make sure to put it on before bed.  I'm over 60, and it's the best thing I've found .  It's affordable, too.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I know! I feel like a doctor scrubbing up before & after every little food "surgery"!

About the only time I need and apply something is after a ton of cooking and/or baking because of all the hand washing.

Sometimes I just put on an oil, or I have a hand cream from Gold Bond that I like. Sometimes, I use Silk Wrap from Alpha (neotericcosmetics). I also have the First Aid cream that I used one time for hands.

Super Contributor

There are products, such as Kerodex, which is an ointment that acts as an invisible glove.  You apply it, and then "set" it by running your hands under cold water.  It can last for several hours with repeated hand washing with soap without drying out your skin.  It is not inexpensive but the use of your hands is priceless!

At night, you can apply a cream of your choice and wear 100% cotton gloves to keep the moisture in.  Do not wash the gloves every day as they will absorb the cream the first wearing or two.  I prefer a water-based cream vs an oil-based.  Vanicream by was formulated for dermatology patients.  

Respected Contributor

I use O'Keefe's during the day and First Aid Beauty at night.  Sometimes add a little Argon oil at night.  

Respected Contributor

ECBG,I have that horrible Problem as soon as the cold weather starts. I purchase "Surgens Skin Secret" I have purchased it for years and when I see it, I stock up, but it lasts a long time, and through 3 or 4 hand washings. My Dad always taught me to wash my hands in warm water and make sure your hands are thoughly dry. Another good tip that does help, but without the "Surgens Skin Secret" I would be in trouble. I purchased it from Q.V.C.

Respected Contributor

Lots of good advice here. I do most of what's already been mentioned. 

I also use a layer of moisturizer before bedtime, whether it looks like I need it or not. That sinks in and gives protection for the next day.

Honored Contributor

I have a metal allergy, so I try to only buy/use 18/10 stainless.  If I'm doing a lot of chopping or something where my hands will be touching metal a lot, I wear cotton gloves.

For everyday, I use CeraVe Cream in the tub (not the lotion, my derm said that some lotions can be drying).

My derm prescribed the Dermasorb TA kit.  The barrier cream is the bomb.  When it's really bad and painful, I will put the TA cream on and then bandage my whole left side of my hand.  It ain't pretty but it seems to heal much faster when I bandgage it so that the cream has time to really sink in and heal.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

You could be allergic to hand soaps.  You really need to wear gloves.  I have ezcema and have issues with regular gloves because they are plastic and sweat is just as bad for my skin.  I get mine from William Sonoma since they are cotton lined, plus I use powder to help keep my hands dry in my hot water.