Respected Contributor

Paging TuesdayTaylor.....Greek Rice Pudding Recipe for you, and our other QVC Pals

Hi TuesdayTaylor,

You requested this so here it is...It is one of our favorite Greek Rice Pudding Recipes....and we hope it becomes yours too, and hope you will post back to let us know if it was a keeper or not.

When Phillip or I prepare this we usually have it as a meal and not a dessert, it is that good!

Greek Creamy Rice Pudding

(Serves about 6, if using small dessert cups, or 3 if taking larger servings). a

Ingredients:

two tablespoons butter
1 quart of milk
a pinch of salt using 2 fingers into the salt...that's enough now?.
1/3 cup of short grain white rice, and I do not use aborio at all, just short grain plain white rice.
lemon rind of 2 large long pieces (You can use your vegetable peeler to make these long wide lemon strips).
1/4 cup sugar
two eggs well beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract, or any flavor you choose to use.
some cinnamon powder spice to sprinkle on top if desired before eating.

Cooking Directions:

In a large saucepan over medium high heat, melt the butter. Add the milk and pinch of salt and then bring it to a boil.

Add the rice and lemon rind.

Lower the heat to a slow but steady simmer so the mixture is moving and rippling, and keep stirring often for about 25 minutes to ensure the rice moves and will not stick to the bottom of your cooking vessel.

The rice should be cooked but not overly cooked, so taste it.

Once the rice mixture has cooked remove the lemon rind and stir in the sugar.

Add about one cup of the warm milk mixture to the beaten eggs to temper them and prevent them from curdling. (If you were to add the eggs by themselves right into anything liquid very hot the eggs would curdle). You have to keep stirring the beaten eggs while you add hot mixture into them and keep stirring when you add the beaten egg with hot mixture back into your hot pot of whatever you are making.

Reduce the heat to very low and add the egg and the milk mixture into the pot, stirring constantly and continue to cook until the mixture begins to thicken.

Add the vanilla extract or your preference to the rice pudding off of the heat, and then let it cool.

Sprinkle some ground Cinnamon spice over the rice pudding if you so desire.

You can serve this hot or cold.

Safety Precautions:

Rice should be prepared and eaten right away and not left out unrefrigerated for any amount of time at all, as food poisoning can develop, which is deadly.

If storing in the refrigerator make sure you put it into an airtight storage container and leave it in the refrigerator taking your portions out and refrigerating the leftovers right away.

As a general rule I never trust any rice type of food in my refrigerator longer than 2 days. Actually we always manage to eat it the second day. If not we trash it.

Food poisoning is deadly and rice is known to create that if not properly handled, prepared and stored, and we rather throw out the remainder than chance becoming ill.

Please try the recipe and post back when you do and I hope it will become a favorite of yours as this one is of ours.

P.S. Just remember keep stirring the rice so it does not stick to the bottom of the cooking vessel and temper your eggs as posted above.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Paging TuesdayTaylor.....Greek Rice Pudding Recipe for you, and our other QVC Pals

Thanks .... I was looking for a "" stove top"" rice pudding recipe ... the one I have cooks in the oven in a water bath which is a pain .... I can't wait to try this recipe ... thanks again!!
Trusted Contributor

Re: Paging TuesdayTaylor.....Greek Rice Pudding Recipe for you, and our other QVC Pals

This sounds fabulous, Adore! Thanks for posting, and for sharing, dear friend. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

My husband and I both really love to eat rice pudding. It's another favorite of ours!

Trusted Contributor

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Your recipe sounds SO good!! Thank you for the step-by-step instructions, that means so much to me! If it weren't for your instructions I know I would mess this up. I can't wait to try it, I already know it's going to taste wonderful. I'm hoping to be able to get good enough at making it that I could even bring it to parties. Usually I just buy something ready-made at the store to bring to gatherings, but I would be so proud to actually make something myself. Thank you again! Hugs to you!!

Super Contributor

This sounds yummy, is it possible to use low fat milk?

Valued Contributor

Adore, you are a dear. Thank you for the lovely recipe-I am going to try it. Smile

Respected Contributor

On 3/8/2015 January121 said: Thanks .... I was looking for a " stove top" rice pudding recipe ... the one I have cooks in the oven in a water bath which is a pain .... I can't wait to try this recipe ... thanks again!!

Hi January121,

You are most welcome........I hope you try it an it also becomes a family favorite.

Respected Contributor

On 3/8/2015 northernlights said:

This sounds fabulous, Adore! Thanks for posting, and for sharing, dear friend. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

My husband and I both really love to eat rice pudding. It's another favorite of ours!

My pleasure northernlights and I hope you both love it, and every time you make it, remember me and smile{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}.

Respected Contributor

On 3/8/2015 TuesdayTaylor said:

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Your recipe sounds SO good!! Thank you for the step-by-step instructions, that means so much to me! If it weren't for your instructions I know I would mess this up. I can't wait to try it, I already know it's going to taste wonderful. I'm hoping to be able to get good enough at making it that I could even bring it to parties. Usually I just buy something ready-made at the store to bring to gatherings, but I would be so proud to actually make something myself. Thank you again! Hugs to you!!

TuesdayTaylor good evening to you dear sweet friend,

It will be fun to make this for parties too.

You can make larger portions by doubling the ingredients and using a larger cooking pot or 2 different pots for preparing and taking to parties.

If taking for parties I would leave off the Cinnamon since some people may not be able to tolerate that spice, or may be allergic to it, or just not like it.

You can bring some Cinnamon with you if you wish and leave it next to your rice puddings, so those who would like it, can help themselves.

I will always try and give you hints to make a recipe easier to be able to follow, and as you always say not "mess it up".........on the other hand many messed up recipes may turn out not looking so great but the taste is wonderful........so one can never really judge without tasting first.

Cooking should be a relaxing, happy, fun filled created labor of love experience one to encounter with confidence and a good recipe easy to follow.

It should never be a worry some type encounter which would make you shy away from being confident and creative in the kitchen.

No worries with this recipe sweetie.......it will be sensational and make you proud making and serving it, as well as very satisfied eating it, and believe me, the thank you's and the compliments will come.

If you need more help give me a page on kitchen talk and i will try and help you, but in any event try it with a smile and confidence and post back and honestly give me your opinion.

Enjoy.........Sending hugs back to you too!

Happy creative cooking, preparing, presenting, and happy eatingSmile.

Respected Contributor

I love rice pudding with lemon in it. This sounds especially delicious.