Trusted Contributor

Re: Paging Stella Dallas-Bread Pudding Recipe

Thank you, northernlights. I will go through the Index of my McCalls and see what I'm missing. It is just the Desserts chapter that he ate. Thank you for your kind offer.

We have cats now, too, and they can be chewers. Especially our 19-year old calico, who still thinks she should be able to chew on anything plastic.

Respected Contributor

I used to Lo e looking at my mom's McCalls magazines and cutting out the paperdoll section...I think her name was Betsy McCall? All of these recipes sou good.Bread pudding is very underrated as a dessert (or cold for breakfast).
Trusted Contributor

Birkin baby, I did the same thing. I used to like playing with Betsy McCall, too. These bread pudding recipes look really yummy, that RespectLife posted, and shared.

Come to think of it, I have a really great one from Mr. Food that I need to find and look for, for everyone here. It is a caramel bread pudding. It is really indulgent. When I find it, I will post it.

Trusted Contributor

Caramel Bread Pudding-Mr. Food
SERVES
COOK TIME
1 Hr 15 Min

Boy, we love bread pudding. Serve it hot and we're happy. Serve it cold and we're happy, too. Now imagine bread pudding laced with warm, gooey caramel! All we need to add is some fresh whipped cream and dessert will be complete.

What You'll Need
  • 1 loaf (1 pound) day-old French or Italian bread, torn into 1-inch pieces
  • 2 cups warm water
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup (1/2 pint) heavy cream
  • 30 caramels, chopped (Note-I have used Kraft caramels for this recipe, and they worked out well)
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon salt
What To Do:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Coat an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray.
  3. In a large bowl, toss together the bread and water, soaking the bread.
  4. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs and stir in the heavy cream. Add to the soaked bread along with the remaining ingredients.
  5. Place in the baking dish and bake for 60 to 65 minutes, or until the center is firm. Serve warm, or allow to cool completely, cover, and chill.
Notes

You can use vanilla or chocolate caramels, or even a combination of both. And for the finishing touch, sprinkle the pudding with some "snowy" confectioners' sugar just before serving.

Read more at http://www.mrfood.com/Puddings/Caramel-Bread-Pudding-2712#SDHIGS8lR9XxEtT8.99
Honored Contributor

Thanks so much PamelaSue for that recipe! I can't wait to try it! As I was reading it...I thought...I wonder if I can use beef broth instead of water? You answered that for me...then made it even better by adding the wine!

I hope to try this very soon. Thanks again! I appreciate it!

Respected Contributor

HERE IS MINE, WAS MY GRANDMOTHERS SO IS VERY VERY OLD, VERY GOOD AND EASY TO CLEAN UP BUT THE VERY GOOD PART IS THE MOST IMPORTANT OF COURSE.

CUSTARDY BREAD PUDDING(mixture of bread pudding and custard)was my grandmothers

2 C MILK
1/2 C SUGAR
PINCH SALT
2 EGGS
1 TSP VANILLA
4 PIECES/SLICES OF BREAD
1/4 C MELTED BUTTER

CUT BREAD INTO CUBES---- MIX BUTTER, EGGS AND MIX WELL-ADD SALT, VANILLA, AND SUGAR. STIR IN BREAD CUBES. POUR INTO LOAF PAN PUT LOAF PAN IN ANOTHER LARGER PAN AND ADD 1 '' OF WATER BAKE AT 350 FOR ABOUT 45 MINUTES
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for sharing your Gramma's recipe with us, doglover3. It looks really yummy! Smile

Respected Contributor

this is the only one my DH will eat since it tastes almost like custard. It is super easy and very good as is her custard pie.

Valued Contributor

Thanks ladies, I put a few of these in my recipe file. I never had the McCalls's cookbook but I did have one just as old, the Better Homes and Gardens one, got it for my bridal shower in 1970 and still make, to this day, their beef stew recipe. It's so funny to read a cookbook absent microwave instructions...lol.

Maria

Contributor

YUM1