Trusted Contributor

Re: Paging Stella Dallas-Bread Pudding Recipe

You're right, Maria. I didn't even think about the lack of microwave instructions! I love old cookbooks.

I have many in my collection. I think that one of the oldest ones that I have is from the 1920's. A friend and neighbor had given it to me.

It goes back to when early refrigerators were first starting to come out, and I believe when ice boxes were starting to be phased out. It is fascinating to read. I think that it must have been a promotional item that came with that particular refrigerator, back at that time.

I remember one of my Grammas still calling the refrigerator the "ice box," because she grew up with an ice box in her home, and that is what she was used to having while growing up.

Valued Contributor

northernlights - Thanks so much for posting this recipe! I made it yesterday, and it's a KEEPER! I used wheat bread, because that's what I had available, and it was so yummy! I took about 1/2 of it to my 86-year old Mother, since she NEEDS to gain some weight, and she loves bread pudding!

I like that this recipe is simple, I always have the ingredients on hand, and it's very yummy!

Thanks, again!
*Thanks to the others who've posted some great-sounding recipes as well! I hope to try some/all of them soon!

Trusted Contributor

I am so glad that you enjoyed it, Glori. Smile

I never get tired of eating bread pudding. I will also order it when we go out to eat, if a restaurant has it on their dessert menu.

Super Contributor

A belated thank you to all the ladies who posted recipes :-)

Trusted Contributor

I hope that you enjoy the yummy recipes, Stella Dallas! Smile