Respected Contributor

Re: Paging RespectLife & all my QVC pals ..........""Baklava Cheesecake""

On 3/30/2015 mustang66lady said:

Hi Adore!

I was not clear in what I was trying to say. {#emotions_dlg.sad} Respect wanted to know how much butter to melt because she had leftover. I just was saying it was better to have too much rather than not enough; if she started to butter the phyllo and ran out before she got an entire sheet buttered, it may dry before she could get more melted, but in that case she could opt to finish that sheet with the spray. I feel the same as you; would not want that chemical taste but had seen one of the "chefs" on a cooking channel use it to lower the calorie count (my thought was I would rather not have what ever they were making but to each their own!). I have always buttered the entire sheet of phyllo not just the edges because that was how it was described to me to be done. I have also watched Ina Garten and she butters the entire sheet but it would be worth it to me to try your way. Sure would save on calories and not use chemicals to do so.

As for getting that piece of cheesecake, I have a feeling it will all go the way of those cookies.......! You and Phillip have a wonderful sounding menu for Easter. I remember watching the Galloping Gourmet give a tour of Greece at Easter time and I absolutely fell in love with the country right then and there. I think I would be sorely disappointed if I only got to visit Greece once and it not be Easter time.

Hi Mustang,

I loved watching the Galloping Gourmet and Jeff Smith cooks when they did specific televised shows about Greece, Greek People, Holiday entertaining, and their Greek cooking in general.

(You tube has Jeff Smith and Greek cooking as I recently watched that and enjoyed it. Perhaps GG is also listed)

Thank you for taking the time to clarify Mustang. I can understand you're not wanting to run out of butter{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}.

My ancestors always buttered sporadically rather than the entire phyllo sheet since it is a very rich Greek specialty food, and too much of a good thing like excess butter can cause it to become heavier than what my ancestors preferred, so I follow the way they taught me since I was age 10 and learned to cook by watching all of them.

Of course some people slather it on and prefer that, and that is also perfectly acceptable.

I believe in trying out different methods except fake butter sprays, and then deciding, and I have tried buttering all the phyllo sheets, but then it became too heavy and rich and the feedback was too heavy and too rich, so I went back to using sweet butter melted and with the pastry brush gently in some sections butter the phyllo sheet, and that works best for me.

Please feel free to use whatever method you prefer Mustang, and everyone should, because it is a matter of personal preference, especially when someone is making an ethnic dish which represents their Heritage, and their Guests know how it should taste when being served, which is what I am referring to in my case.

In truth many Greek dishes are very rich in taste and calories, so I like trying to cut back a little in order to thoroughly enjoy everything being served, and still keep my girlish figureSmile.

Sure hoped RespectLife and hubby enjoyed that Baklava Cheesecake.....it is rich and sinfully delicious, and I hope you will also give it a try some time.

Happy Blessed Easter my sweet kind and dear friend, and I wish we had smell and taste'ovision to share all our Greek Easter goodies with all our wonderful QVC pals.

Blessings and hugs enclosed, and take good care mustang!

Respected Contributor

Hey RespectLife did you both finish the Baklava Cheesecake?

Are you thinking of making another for your Easter Celebration?

Either way I know you both enjoyed it, and I am glad you did dear friend!

Happy Easter with blessings, and many sisterly hugs, and take good care.

Honored Contributor

Oh no...we didn't finish it yet. DH is off on Easter Break (Teacher) and I was hoping he put a big dent in it for me to save me some temptations! We have about 2/3 left! I still need to get some over to Mom and her aide to share!

I did see one 'oopsie' in reading your replies...I wrapped the extra phyllo IN the damp dishcloth. Didn't use wax paper! Which would explain why I lost 1/2 of the outer sheet to mush. I tell ya..we are never too old to live and learn!

I never, ever use butter sprays...or margarine/oleos/blends. Years ago, I learned what was in them and switched back to true butter.

I clarified the butter...which was a messy pain and maybe a step I could have skipped if you actually use the microwave! That would have been so much easier!

Thank you so much for giving me the suggestion on buttering. If anything, I may have over buttered. I did pretty much paint the whole sheet! Since the recipe called for 2 cups of butter...I was thinking I had to use it all...somewhere! LOL Even still...it didn't come out overly rich or sweet...the taste it really good, if I do say so myself!

I will definitely try less butter though when I make it again or when I make regular baklava...which is next on my list. I have had some that were so sickening sweet and really, really sticky...I would definitely prefer it 'less rich'! Most of my family and friends had no idea what Baklava even was! That may be a good thing....mine will be the best they ever had!

I am so thankful for you all here to give me such great suggestions and tips!

Respected Contributor

On 3/31/2015 RespectLife said:

Oh no...we didn't finish it yet. DH is off on Easter Break (Teacher) and I was hoping he put a big dent in it for me to save me some temptations! We have about 2/3 left! I still need to get some over to Mom and her aide to share! Enjoy it all!

I did see one 'oopsie' in reading your replies...I wrapped the extra phyllo IN the damp dishcloth. Didn't use wax paper! Which would explain why I lost 1/2 of the outer sheet to mush. I tell ya..we are never too old to live and learn! I agree {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}.

I never, ever use butter sprays...or margarine/oleos/blends. Years ago, I learned what was in them and switched back to true butter. I never ever used margarine, always used natural sweet butter for everything.

I clarified the butter...which was a messy pain and maybe a step I could have skipped if you actually use the microwave! That would have been so much easier! NO need to clarify the butter, nuke it and watch it carefully!

Thank you so much for giving me the suggestion on buttering. If anything, I may have over buttered. I did pretty much paint the whole sheet! Since the recipe called for 2 cups of butter...I was thinking I had to use it all...somewhere! LOL Even still...it didn't come out overly rich or sweet...the taste it really good, if I do say so myself! Then it is your choice to butter sparingly or butter the whole phyllo sheetSmile

I will definitely try less butter though when I make it again or when I make regular baklava...which is next on my list. I have had some that were so sickening sweet and really, really sticky...I would definitely prefer it 'less rich'! Then add less honey to it Make it with less sugar and honey so it will not be too sweet.....sweetness is also a matter of personal preference. Most of my family and friends had no idea what Baklava even was! That may be a good thing....mine will be the best they ever had! I am sure it will be my dear friend!

I am so thankful for you all here to give me such great suggestions and tips!

We are thankful for you too RespectLife because you are a real treasured QVC pal and a real gem of a gal.......God Bless........enjoy Easter, and have a blast in the kitchen.......Create and knock their socks off!!!

Honored Contributor

Wow, that sounds really good. My MIL used to bake a dessert very close to this one. She made her own homemade dough instead of purchasing phyllo. (not me, I buy mine)

I am going to try this recipe, but I think I'll add lemon zest to the nut mixture. Lemon zest seems to wake up the flavor IMO.

Thank you for the wonderful sounding recipe. I will be making this on Saturday for my Easter dinner. My husband will be impressed. He hasn't had anything even close to this since his mother passed.

Respected Contributor

On 3/31/2015 Carmie said:

Wow, that sounds really good. My MIL used to bake a dessert very close to this one. She made her own homemade dough instead of purchasing phyllo. (not me, I buy mine)

I am going to try this recipe, but I think I'll add lemon zest to the nut mixture. Lemon zest seems to wake up the flavor IMO.

Thank you for the wonderful sounding recipe. I will be making this on Saturday for my Easter dinner. My husband will be impressed. He hasn't had anything even close to this since his mother passed.

You are very welcome and I hope you all enjoy it CarmieSmile

Honored Contributor

Thanks so much, Adore! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} You are such a wonderful friend to share your skills and knowledge!! Blessings to you and your entire family this Easter season!!!

Funny... I brought some to Mom last night. She looked confused and asked if my BIL's Greek Mother, Esther, had sent it to us from NH! She couldn't quite grasp that this 1/2 Italian, 1/2 Irish daughter of hers made a Greek Delight! Her face was precious! She loved it. I left some for her aide to try as well. Still have half a tray to go! MOOOO!!!!

Carmie...that is a great idea on the lemon zest! Please report back if you make it! I'd love to hear your ideas!

Respected Contributor

On 4/1/2015 RespectLife said:

Thanks so much, Adore! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} You are such a wonderful friend to share your skills and knowledge!! Blessings to you and your entire family this Easter season!!!

Funny... I brought some to Mom last night. She looked confused and asked if my BIL's Greek Mother, Esther, had sent it to us from NH! She couldn't quite grasp that this 1/2 Italian, 1/2 Irish daughter of hers made a Greek Delight! Her face was precious! She loved it. I left some for her aide to try as well. Still have half a tray to go! MOOOO!!!!

Carmie...that is a great idea on the lemon zest! Please report back if you make it! I'd love to hear your ideas!

Many thanks for your kind words RespectLife.

RespectLife I am so glad your sweet Mom loved it, but had to smile when you said thought it came all the way from New Hampshire.

Now she knows her daughter is a great cook and baker, and she is probably so proud.....because you did good my friend!

Sending you both hugs, so please convey them from me to her too, and you get an A+ for being so accomplished in the kitchen!!!.......See I always told you cooking should be creative and lots of fun, and it is, especially when you have loved ones to share it with{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}.