Honored Contributor

Over the Range Microwave Oven Recommendations

My 20 year old GE Profile (came with the house) needs to be replaced. It's been temperamental for a while, but I can cope with it. DH loses patience. A while back the one door hinge broke. If I lift it up I can close it tightly, but DH is concerned about using it.

The one I have is a combo with a convection oven. I very rarely used that, so it's not important. Any recommendations? TIA!

Frequent Contributor

Re: Over the Range Microwave Oven Recommendations

My 13 yr old Profile died recently. Bought another GE but down graded to a basic model. Works fine.

Respected Contributor

My 24 year old GE just died a couple months ago. I purchased another GE (model # JVM6175BLTS) in black stainless. It's 1000 W. It has more bells and whistles then my other unit. I don't really cook, so this works just fine for me. Including installation, tax and taking away old unit the total was around $400.00. 

Respected Contributor

@beach-mom 

Whichever one you choose to get, be sure that the words for whatever action you want it to,perform can be EASILY seen.  

The one one we got when our vacation kitchen got upgraded is gray on a dark background——we keep a flashlight handy to we can see which button or key we are depressing.  Major nuisance at night !!!!

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

If it is hemmed in by cabinets, then size will have to drive the decision.  I found that out with a dishwasher.  Who knew countertops differed in depth.

Valued Contributor

We really like our GE - 

Model PVM9179K2SS

Besides a microwave, it is a convection bake & roast.

It is like having a 2nd oven.

Honored Contributor

Love my Maytag, it is 14 years old!! I do not recommend Whirlpool, had 2 of them both died. 

Esteemed Contributor

My friend had a Samsung over the range microwave convection oven installed recently and she likes it. Make sure that it fits exactly where the original microwave was, so there isn´t a space.

Honored Contributor

I've had a Whirpool one for nine years. It works great.