Frequent Contributor

Re: Oven cleaning - if true, it's a game changer!

Oh wow!  I had resigned myself to looking at the dirty glass forever.  Mine has a slot  and the insides were just super dusty.  A yardstick and a rag and like magic I can see through my oven.

Thanks for sharing one of the mysteries of the universe with us!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm glad some of you had success with it.  Mine has three openings and they're quite close to the floor, so i don't see any practical way to get a cleaning tool up into there effectively.  Like someone else mentioned, I'd also be afraid of getting a rag stuck up inside - that would make me lose what little is left of my mind.😜 

~ house cat ~
Contributor

OMG, I ditched the former home homeowners fairly new stove because of a huge grease glob inside the glass. Drove me nuts. I have since found info on Google regarding removal of the door, taking it all apart and cleaning the glass but didn’t want to tackle that.  Right now all I seem to have is dust (former owners of the home rarely cleaned or changed out furnace filters) so I thought I would try canned air but haven’t tried that yet.  What would be slim enough to reach up in there? Did I buy a new stove for no reason?! Can’t wait for your answers. TIA.

Respected Contributor

why don't they put a hinge or clips that we can open up & clean in between the glass? Guess that would be too much of an effort for the manufactor.

Honored Contributor

Cleaning the glass on both sides of the door is as far as I go.  I never thought about between the glass and I really dont care.  I will just squint between the spots! LOL

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

@SCshopper2 wrote:

OMG, I ditched the former home homeowners fairly new stove because of a huge grease glob inside the glass. Drove me nuts. I have since found info on Google regarding removal of the door, taking it all apart and cleaning the glass but didn’t want to tackle that.  Right now all I seem to have is dust (former owners of the home rarely cleaned or changed out furnace filters) so I thought I would try canned air but haven’t tried that yet.  What would be slim enough to reach up in there? Did I buy a new stove for no reason?! Can’t wait for your answers. TIA.

I used a ruler and placed a heavy duty paper towel tightly around it and secured it to the ruler with tape around the bottom (taping it to the ruler so it wouldn’t come off - I wouldn’t want a paper towel stuck in there). I sprayed some glass cleaner on it and rubbed it around. It’s awkward but it works. 

Honored Contributor

I did not know this,so i went looking around the house to see what i could use,i have a long bendable tool with a fuzzy cloth on it ,that one uses to clean under fridge,and tight spaces, but it would only go up a third of the way,now have fuzz in between glass, going to see what i can find.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

Wonder if you could shoot steam from a steam cleaner into that opening?

Valued Contributor

I was thinking canned air - like you use on keyboards.  Or if you have a canister style vacuum put the hose on the exhaust end and blow with that for the dust kitties.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

The most secure and universal approach I've seen for doing the cleaning is using a long-handled flyswatter: First, turn it around so you're using the swatting surface as your handle because it isn't quite sturdy enough to do cleaning and may not fit through the slots. Second, wrap some standard wet cleaning cloths or a thin rag that has been moistened with a cleaning solution around the base of the wire handle, using rubber bands to hold them in place at whatever point works best (sometimes, that's the middle). Third, slide the wrapped end up into the slots and clean as much as possible. When you're finished, you can just discard the dirty cloth(s) and keep your "tool" on hand for the next time. Enjoy!