Honored Contributor

Oven cleaning - if true, it's a game changer!

I just saw this on FB, but I can't check my oven because something is currently baking in it.

Is this true of all ovens?  I even asked my repairman and he said there was no way to clean between the glass.  I'm afraid that even if it's true, mine is too far gone at this point.

Screen Shot 2018-11-10 at 2.32.37 PM.png

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

Re: Oven cleaning - if true, it's a game changer!

Just checked my oven, and you can get in between the glass. Who knew? I took out the manual and it does not mention it.

Esteemed Contributor

DH unscrewed the door & held it while I cramed my hand in there to clean.  Then he screwed it back together.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat

WOW !!!!!  

A few few years ago as I was using the Fuller Brush Co. Oven cleaner, some stuff dripped down that glass....or, rather between the glass.  I have lived with the drip memorialized !

May be now I can soak a flat brush and get the inside of the glass sandwich clean.

The things one learns here !!!!! ❤️. ❤️. ❤️. 🥇. ❤️ ❤️ ⭐️ 

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@Janey2

When you try cleaning it, please let us know how it worked.

I bought a Marie Callender's Pumpkin Pie this morning and it's baking in my oven or I'd be exploring it right now.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

Thank you for posting this!  I just checked and my oven door does have a slot in the bottom.  I never knew it was there and I’ve always wanted to clean between the glass. 

Valued Contributor

Oh my goodness, after all these years I had never heard that. Just checked mine and sure enough, mine has the slot!  Thanks

Esteemed Contributor

Amazing! I just checked my oven and indeed there is an opening! Now - what's going to be the right tool to use to clean it??! Thanks, @house_cat!

Esteemed Contributor

Well for the longest time I hung a tee towel over the handle of mine to hide the spaghetti sauce drip. Finally one day oldest son took the door off and put it on the kitchen table, got it all apart and voila. It wasn't fun but it got done. Prior to that I had rubber banded thin cloths around a pulled apart hanger, got it into the slots (mine I could use slots on top of the door as well as others under the bottom of the door) couldn't get it to bend right once it was in there so it would get where on the glass it was needed. Another try was ordering from Amazon a set of long skinny brushes with long skinny handles, they didn't get at the right spot either. The problem is that once you get something slender enough in there it needs to get bent right to get at the spot that needs cleaning. Mine still has a very vague long thin remnant of the spaghetti sauce drip that rolled in between the glass but it so faint that I don't really notice it anymore unless looking for it whereas before it annoyed me every day.

The tee towel worked great once i used those eeny weeny miniature sized hair clips to hold it together right under the handle, otherwise every time the oven door got opened it moved or fell off.

Anyway good luck.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm gonna have to check, never knew about that opening,  I always wondered how that glass could get so dirty and then how do I clean it!!

Well....I opened the drawer, stuck my hand up there and there is was...an opening to clean, who knew!!  I have purchased several ovens over the years, no one ever mentioned that open space, thank you!  Now I hope I can get the glass clean.