Occasional Contributor

Well, after having my new Oster French door oven for almost a week, sadly it is being  returned. Top element does not heat up. Toast never happened, 2 loaves of bread I was trying to bake turned out gummy (and I bake bread all the time), and so it has to go. I had high hopes and was looking forward to baking and dehydrating. I hope others have better luck.

Regular Contributor

Just  used mine  today. Baking Banna Bread   top rack  was  wrong  had  to pulll rack and now    will  see  what   result  will be  it seems  if ordered   from  Oster.com  some had a  fifty page  booklet   on instructions for use of all features of   the oven    I  did  not get  one.   am   disappointed

Honored Contributor

probably can go online and download it. Lot of people now are to tight to put in their use and care books in their products . Make us go online and download the thing ourselves and use our paper and pricey ink.

Makes me livid.

Just bought a Garmin GPS and had to download all that ****.

Honored Contributor

I am  so sorry it didn't work out for you.

I have a counter top Breville oven.  It is amazing.  King Arthur makes bread in their test kitchens in a Breville.  

It’s an awesome product if you are still interested in owning a counter top oven.

Trusted Contributor

wrote:

I am  so sorry it didn't work out for you.

I have a counter top Breville oven.  It is amazing.  King Arthur makes bread in their test kitchens in a Breville.  

It’s an awesome product if you are still interested in owning a counter top oven.

I recently purchased a Breville also.  Wonderful countertop oven, especially since we are now retired empty nesters who cook much smaller quantities of food.  Have a brand new gas/convection range now gathering cobwebs in my updated kitchen because my Breville does it all.  Happy to see Q carrying the Breville line -- I'd like to order the nice bamboo cutting board for top of my oven.

Esteemed Contributor

I purchased the Kitchen Aid counter top oven and love it....but for large baking needs (i.e., your two loaves of bread) I would suggest baking those in a full size oven.  I find my K-A runs very hot if temp setting is per a normal recipe.  Being small - I heard K-A vendor say lower temp and perhaps less time needed than the full size range.  Have you packed the Oster up yet ???- perhaps a re-think on what you're baking vs which machine to use - - will save your new oven for other needs.

Occasional Contributor

People are really raving about the Breville. I think I will give it a try. It's a little pricier, but worth it if it works!

Esteemed Contributor
Well yes, @Ginnywest, you have to modify your bake for the oven you're using. Different heat source & different size/shape oven cavity produces a different bake.
Nothing bakes the same in my full sized gas oven, and my x-large rectangular toaster oven, and my round NuWave oven. You have to modify your bake for each one.

Just so you know, in my countertop GE oven, comparable to your Oster, the upper elements do not heat up in BAKE setting. They only heat up in TOAST and BROIL. Are you sure you weren't trying to 'bake' a piece of bread instead of toasting it?

@SharkE you can download instructions, recipes, warranties, Etc without printing them all out. Just save them in the clouds. Then they're there whenever you need to refer back to them.
Esteemed Contributor

The reference to...gummy....makes me think oven was too hot - minimal air circulation with 2 loaves of bread, so outside got cooked quickly while center of bread loaf was still under cooked/baked. Something else to be aware of - QVC demos are semi-fake.  All the food you see them pulling out of the smaller ovens were really baked in the back kitchen by a big staff of people with big ovens.  They slide those dishes in the Kitchen-Aid (or whatever they are selling) just to show the capacity of the interior unit.  Lots of smoke and mirrors in their presentations.

Trusted Contributor

Those who own the Breville...would you share which model you have that you are impressed with...thanks!