Respected Contributor

They've put a blow dryer in a hand mixer?  Does anyone think this is actually a useful, good idea? (item # K48164)  It's on the air with David right now.  To me, this seems like a gimmick, but if one does a lot of baking, it might be useful, maybe?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Oster HeatSoft hand mixer?

I don't understand it either.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I watched some of this presentation and I don't get it, either.   

Not only does it seem silly, but look how large (and I wonder how heavy) that hand mixer is!

I didn't see if you could turn off the heat part but if you are mixing, well, most things, you sure don't want it generating heat in there.

Respected Contributor

That's what I thought, too, if you can't turn the heat off you'll ruin the texture of some things, like pie crust!  You want the butter/shortening/lard very cold for that recipe.  I know we have all been guilty of leaving the cream cheese in the fridge when we ought to have pulled it out to warm sooner, but if one does that enough, one learns the lesson and takes the cream cheese out on time.  Woman Embarassed

Honored Contributor

i think this is a GREAT idea! i am notorious for not taking out my butter or cream cheese prior to mixing ingredients.

• Softens butter 12x faster* by using using gentle warm air to bring cold butter to room temperature quickly while mixing, for fluffier results, *Compared to leaving butter out on the counter for 30 minutes
  • Turn HEATSOFT on and off anytime as you need it
  • This 270-watt mixer offers 7 speeds for versatility, and even gives you an extra burst of power when you need it with a one-touch boost at the touch of a button
  • Mixer comes equipped with durable full-size beaters, dough hooks, and a whisk, so you can tackle a variety of baking projects
  • The convenient one-touch beater eject lever lets you remove beaters without getting messy, so they can go straight into the dishwasher
  • The removable magnetic nozzle is dishwasher safe for easy cleaning
  • Comes with a convenient case for storage and portability

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I didn't quite understand the concept either...but, then again it could be me today -- 

Respected Contributor

Sunshine45, did you order the mixer?  If so, please review it in the Kitchen forum when you get it. 

Honored Contributor

@CamilleP wrote:

Sunshine45, did you order the mixer?  If so, please review it in the Kitchen forum when you get it. 

i did not order it, but i think it is a great idea. i just got a new red kitchenaid hand mixer for christmas last year. if i cave i will let you know though. Smiley Wink

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

It looks like another kitchen appliance to take up space.  how difficult is it really to warm your own butter or cream cheese in a bowl placed in hot water?

Also, many mircowave ovens have a button for that..mine does.  It just softens and does not melt butter.  I use that function frequently.

Honored Contributor

You can also put your butter in the microwave for few seconds, it works. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan