Honored Contributor

Re: Oster French Door Convection Oven

@katte wrote:

I've had my Oster oven for about two years and love it.  No problems. I got it in the Stainless.  Best counter top oven I've ever owned.  

@katte   I bought one for my sister two years ago for Christmas.  She still absolutely loves it!  In fact, when I go visit her she still shows it off and cooks in it like I'm still seeing it in action for the first time.  I used it once myself and I was truly impressed in how evenly and quickly it cooked, and didn't heat up the kitchen.  Also, cleanup is, as they say, a breeze.

Honored Contributor

I've been considering one of these countertop ovens for a while.  I only use my big oven for the occasional small item and I feel it's a waste energy for that.

My dilemma is this:  I'm concerned about the ability to bake something for an extended time, like two hours or so.  These small portable ovens seem like they might overheat if continually heating for that long.  Some I've looked at in person even have a time limit of one hour of baking.  They are showing roasts with this, which would need a longer cooking time.

Can you heat this oven for 2-3 hours at, say, 350 degrees?

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

I've been considering one of these countertop ovens for a while.  I only use my big oven for the occasional small item and I feel it's a waste energy for that.

My dilemma is this:  I'm concerned about the ability to bake something for an extended time, like two hours or so.  These small portable ovens seem like they might overheat if continually heating for that long.  Some I've looked at in person even have a time limit of one hour of baking.  They are showing roasts with this, which would need a longer cooking time.

@geezerette, they did say the max time on the oven is 90 minutes.  Don't know if there would be a problem in continued cooking.  Seems you could just add more time as it's cooking to keep it cooking for longer than the 90 minutes.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@feline groovy 

I know Amazon has many positive reviews on this item, as you said.

But that's where (among other places)  I found some reviews that were not as good, and those reviews rang a "caution" bell for me. 

It's a personal thing........probably shouldn't affect anyone else's opinion.  That's why I welcome other opinions from folks here who really know their stuff in the kitchen.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@geezerette, they did say the max time on the oven is 90 minutes.  Don't know if there would be a problem in continued cooking.  Seems you could just add more time as it's cooking to keep it cooking for longer than the 90 minutes.  

@Icegoddess 

Thank you, I didn't hear that.

But I was more concerned about the safety aspect of having that type of unit that hot for hours.  I wouldn't mind having to reset the oven, if necessary.

Respected Contributor

@KLevineFan   I cooked an 8.18 lb. turkey breast in it two Sundays ago using the lower shelf and there was plenty of room--height  and width wise--for a larger bird.  I hit and reset the time after the first 90 minutes.  I have cooked a Perdue oven stuffer roaster chicken, a standing rib roast, and a bone in pork loin roast.   without difficulty

I have the 18 qt. Nesco, too, and love using it, too, especially when I need extra oven space cooking for a large crowd.  I know some used to look at me when I was using a tape measure to measure the height and width of a turkey at the supermarket but I didn't care.  

One year I didn't measure and had to use large sheets of aluminum foil crimped and the result, needless to say wasn't as good so I learned my lesson to always measure and the heck with onlookers!

As to lifting a turkey out I think they make a food grade, oven safe trivet sling type of thing that you could rest the turkey on inside the cookwell and do your roasting and then be able to lift it out when it is done.  I just lift out using clean oven mitts covered in aluminum foil to grab the hollow on one side and my other mitt hand underneath--platter being right alongside.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@aroc3435

I don't like turkey breasts...did one last year for the first time as I was alone...I want the whole bird. Some Amazon reviews said they did 15-17 lb, but all I want is 12-14.  My hands are like fists, cannot manipulate my fingers very much, so cannot use the Nesco anymore, alas.  I hope to kind of slide the bird sideways from Oster rack to platter.  And I already decided to measure the insides and the birds, ha!  Recipe for 8-12 lb says 2-2.5 hrs at 350 so will give it a try!

Super Contributor

Pros - price

Cons - French doors will snap closed

You cannot use aluminum foil in oven

Is not easy to clean, and does not clean well

Does not cook evenly, you have to rotate everything

Is not recommended for use longer than 90 minutes

Limited rack positions

Lightweight construction

After using the Oster oven for a year, I began to research better ovens.

The Breville Smart Oven Air Fryer was the top of the line, most highly rated. I watched & waited for a sale, which every store has in the 4th quarter, and to my surprise BB&B let me use a coupon. I paid $269. and it's worth the retail of $399., honestly

The Breville has taken the place of my full size oven & I use it every day. It is well built and beautiful. The features are many & the pans that come with & air frying basket are excellent quality. Two years later, it looks brand new.

PS Whatever you decide, I highly recommend Curtis  Stone's roll up trivet to put on the top. It's right where you need it when you need it & has saved me from melting the packaged bread I had tossed there to the oven! 😂

Respected Contributor

@cantdrive55 

Excellent detailed comments, and are very similar to the "cons" I've already seen about this oven.

I guess Breville is the way to go, if I'm going to go at all.

Honored Contributor

I ordered mine as a tsv maybe the year before last and I use it all the time and have come to depend on it. It really crisps food up well with the convection oven which and cooks faster than my regular stove that takes forever to heat up.