Honored Contributor

Re: Organic milk expiration date?

@Marp wrote:

@gardenman,  the milk is ultra high pasturized which essentially renders it sterile enabling the longer shelf life.  However, once opened it lasts about as long as the regular milk you buy.

Interesting. I always check the expiration dates and buy milk with a longer one, but finding an expiration date about seven weeks away was surprising.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Pasteurization. My organic almond milk usually has "sell by" dates that are up to two months from the date I purchase it. Always been that way.

Always tastes great and fresh when I open it.

Honored Contributor

I'm just giving this a bit of a bump for a quick update. I'm now an organic milk convert. The stuff stays fresh forever. The half-gallon I bought in August lasted me through September. I bought a fresh half-gallon in late September with an expiration date of 10/26. I opened that in early October and here we are on November fifth and it's still good. I just used a third of a cup for my corn muffins. I don't know what they do to the milk, but it stays good for a long time.

It's not hard to tell when milk goes off, but this is as fresh smelling as the day I bought it. Now it just comes out of the fridge when I need it, it gets opened, poured out, recapped, and put right back into the fridge, but it stays fresh for weeks even after being opened. It's well worth the extra money. I don't use a lot of milk and I typically throw away as much as I use, but this stuff lasts a very long time.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Valued Contributor

When I first started buying organic milk, DH was convinced something was wrong with the "sell by" date. He was so skeptical, until he realized that it does last much longer unopened. 

For me, that's an added bonus of it.  I buy a few cartons at once and don't need to worry about them going bad!

Honored Contributor

@Mellyg wrote:

When I first started buying organic milk, DH was convinced something was wrong with the "sell by" date. He was so skeptical, until he realized that it does last much longer unopened. 

For me, that's an added bonus of it.  I buy a few cartons at once and don't need to worry about them going bad!

That was me with the first half-gallon I bought. I was very confused why the expiration date was so much later than conventional milk. I'd never bought the organic milk as it cost twice as much, but I needed milk and the organic was all they had, so rather than wander off to another store, I bought it. I looked at the expiration date and thought it must be a misprint. The stuff lasts forever though.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!