Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Here goes....I am thinking about entering the chili cookoff at church. Question is...do most people like spicy chili or mild? I'm doing a white bean/ chicken chili. Any opinions appreciated.
Trusted Contributor

Personally, I like to be able to taste the food.

Sometimes I think that something can be too spicy where the spiciness gets to be too hot, and can take over the flavor of the food/dish, where all that you taste is hotness and spiciness. So, I tend to like things that are more on the "mild side."

Trusted Contributor

For a competition, I would not go too spicy. Toast your spices in a dry pan first for good flavor complexity. Tomatillos are a good addition to white chili.

Honored Contributor

i like it somewhere in between.....some spice, but not too much heat. i prefer to put out toppings that can make it hot. that way everyone can choose.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor
All good suggestions. Thank you!
Trusted Contributor
What Sunshine said is correct for a crowd. We had a Chili Contest here for my dh's Birthday was alot of fun and really interesting how many different recipes.
Respected Contributor

Chili can be quite tasty without a lot of spice. If it's too hot, it takes away the flavor and I can't enjoy eating it. Good, solid, taste for me.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Honored Contributor
On 1/11/2015 pommom said:

Chili can be quite tasty without a lot of spice. If it's too hot, it takes away the flavor and I can't enjoy eating it. Good, solid, taste for me.

This is my thinking too.

Sometimes people get too much into the 'hot' aspect and then it becomes about the hot and not about the flavor. I think a white chicken chili not be that particularly hot. I'd concentrate on flavors. I like to flavor each layer of the recipe as I go and I know I'll end up with great flavor. I don't use the more arid HOT type stuff like cayenne with mine. Maybe that's just me and, honestly, I'm not really into 'hot' anyway. I love chilis but I don't love anything that's very hot. There are more flavorful ways to get a little heat in there. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

We had one at work too. I did chicken chili, the only one that did. A traditional chili won.

The next time, I'll do the Wendy's chili recipe you can find online.

Honored Contributor

I agree that for me chile is more about flavor and less about hot, though a certain amount of 'spicy' is my choice... That said, on the rare occasions that I make chile, I usually default to a more traditional recipe, skipping the 'white', chicken and turkey varieties...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...