Trusted Contributor

Re: Open top affordable mixer

Here is that plum cake recipe, baked in my Wonder Pot!plum cake.jpeg

Valued Contributor

I've never used or seen the open top mixer, but a friend is a chef and told me he was sent an open top mixer to test/review. He is not a fan, telling me that it failed in myriad tests for things like texture (leaving lumps where lumps should not be), whipping ability, etc. and therefore changed the outcome of the final products. He compared the preparation and final bake of various baked goods that were mixed with the open top mixer, a Kitchen Aid stand mixer, and a hand mixer, as I recall, and then ranked each one at different stages of the baking process.  Kitchen Aid was the clear winner across the board, followed by a cheap hand mixer.  The open top came in last. He also mentioned that the open top was much harder to clean and switch out parts than the Kitchen Aid stand mixer and the hand mixer.  Interesting, I thought.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@AspenGrove wrote:

I've never used or seen the open top mixer, but a friend is a chef and told me he was sent an open top mixer to test/review. He is not a fan, telling me that it failed in myriad tests for things like texture (leaving lumps where lumps should not be), whipping ability, etc. and therefore changed the outcome of the final products. He compared the preparation and final bake of various baked goods that were mixed with the open top mixer, a Kitchen Aid stand mixer, and a hand mixer, as I recall, and then ranked each one at different stages of the baking process.  Kitchen Aid was the clear winner across the board, followed by a cheap hand mixer.  The open top came in last. He also mentioned that the open top was much harder to clean and switch out parts than the Kitchen Aid stand mixer and the hand mixer.  Interesting, I thought.

@AspenGrove I love the Ankarsrum mixer, which is made in Sweden. It has an open bowl. It mixes wonderfully. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jaxs mom wrote:

@AspenGrove I love the Ankarsrum mixer, which is made in Sweden. It has an open bowl. It mixes wonderfully. 

@jaxs mom-- great to hear. I'll share your comment with my chef pal.  I know he did not test the one you use and love. I'm almost positive he tested the model mentioned by the OP in this thread. I just looked at the Ankarsrum on amazon and it looks amazing! Reviews are great. Gotta love those Swedes. My sewing machine is Swedish-made and phenomenal.  Will never buy a sewing machine that isn't made in Sweden!

Valued Contributor

@AspenGrove wrote:

It did look like a lot of plastic parts and pieces to me but the first thing that shocked me was the lightweight power cord -- it looked like a lamp cord instead of a heavy duty appliance cord.

Respected Contributor

Pre kitchenaide I had a Blendtek mixer like that.  I wasn't very impressed.   I tossed it in less than a year, bought a Kitchenaid and haven't looked back.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*