Honored Contributor

Re: Onions &/or garlic or both?

Garlic in everything, onions only in selective dishes, quite a few, but garlic is the star, both fresh, but a times I use garlic salt.

Honored Contributor

On 5/21/2014 Hoovermom said:
On 5/21/2014 just bee said:

I don't know why my mother could never get it straight: My sister preferred onions and I preferred garlic. Especially since I <em>always</em> had creamy garlic dressing on my salad when I was a kid and she complained bitterly about the fumes.

I like and use both -- usually fresh -- but I have a soft spot for garlic. Be warned.

Roasted! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

We had garlic roasted like this in a little Italian restaurant in Naples, FL. How do you achieve it? Just cut the top off and drizzle EVOO over it and bake? Loved it!!!

Yup -- cut off the top, drizzle with olive oil, wrap in foil, and pop in the oven. Times/temps vary.

ETA:

They actually sell contraptions (like clay pots) specifically designed to roast garlic.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

I use both onion and garlic in cooking and prefer fresh. I keep garlic powder on hand in case I don't have fresh garlic. DH planted garlic this spring from small plants given to him by a friend and it's doing well so far. I even have a recipe for garlic soup. It's very good if you love garlic.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

Here's the recipe for garlic soup if anyone is interested. It really is good ... Smile

Recipe: Delicious Garlic Soup

1 large onion

3 heads garlic – peeled (full heads of garlic, not just 3 cloves)

1/3 cup olive oil

24 oz. chicken broth

24 oz. half and half

French bread (preferably day old, cut in small pieces)

3 teas. paprika

½ teas. cumin

salt and pepper (to taste)

chopped fresh parsley

Directions:

In skillet sauté onion and garlic in olive oil until translucent.

Transfer onion/garlic mixture to Vitamix blender (or food processor) and blend until smooth. Add chicken broth slowly and continue to blend. Then add half and half and blend well. (Use low blending speed; do not froth the cream.)

Add small pieces of bread slowly. The soup will thicken as the bread is added to the liquid. The amount of bread will determine the soup’s thickness. If you want a thick soup, add more bread. If you want a thinner soup, add less bread.

When you have the texture you prefer, transfer the mixture to a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the paprika and cumin, and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 8 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve hot.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Trusted Contributor

On 5/20/2014 Classylady said:

I use both all the time. Love the fresh ones. I also have the spice jar kind as well.

I like to roast the garlic on the grill outside, then mash it up in some soften butter, put it in saran wrap and roll it up in a log. Always ready when I want garlic bread or mashed potatoes.

I haven't put garlic in the liver and onion gravy yet. But who knows about me. LOL

I smack mine with a large knife but I saw Martha Stewart once put hers in a metal bowl with lid and shake real hard and all the peel was off. Haven't tried that yet.

I tried this method and it didn't take all the skin off in one swoop. I had to keep checking and removing the ones without the skins. I would rather use that rubber tube. I did just purchase this http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-1055607/Chef+n+Garlic+Peeler

Respected Contributor

On 5/21/2014 Hoovermom said:

I don't know why my mother could never get it straight: My sister preferred onions and I preferred garlic. Especially since I <em>always</em> had creamy garlic dressing on my salad when I was a kid and she complained bitterly about the fumes.

I like and use both -- usually fresh -- but I have a soft spot for garlic. Be warned.

Roasted! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

We had garlic roasted like this in a little Italian restaurant in Naples, FL. How do you achieve it? Just cut the top off and drizzle EVOO over it and bake? Loved it!!!

Yup -- cut off the top, drizzle with olive oil, wrap in foil, and pop in the oven. Times/temps vary.

ETA:

They actually sell contraptions (like clay pots) specifically designed to roast garlic.

Thank you!!

Respected Contributor

Just made a very large batch of marinara sauce today and used bottled minced garlic. However, before sautéing it in olive oil, I liquefied the garlic in the mini prep cuisinart, adding some olive oil. Doing this ensures that there are no pieces of garlic getting stuck between the teeth!!!!
We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

That roasted garlic looks good. I peel all mine first unless I smoke it on the grill.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Trusted Contributor

I'm allergic to garlic,cooked or raw. I'm allergic to onions too but as long as I saute them, I can have the white sweet onions.

Contributor

When using fresh garlic in cooking, I always grate it. You get the garlic flavor without having to bite into actual pieces of garlic. I use a small hand-held grater (or zester), not a box grater. It is much easier to clean than a garlic press.