Contributor

Re: Onions &/or garlic or both?

Try shallots which are a cross of onions and garlic.

Occasional Contributor

both Smiley Very Happy

Super Contributor

For those who love onions and garlic...This is an oldie but a goodie!!

FIVE LILLIES CHOWDER

3 tablespoons olive oil
4 cups diced yellow onions
¼ cup sliced shallots
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 cup dry white wine
1 bay leaf
6 cups chicken stock, or vegetable stock
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme (or 1 teaspoon dried)
2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano (or 1 teaspoon dried)
½ cup minced celery
1 cup sliced leeks, both white and tender green parts
2 tablespoons dry sherry
2 tablespoons minced chives
Garnish: Gremolata (1 tablespoon minced garlic, 2 tablespoons minced parsley, and 2 tablespoons minced lemon zest, combined in a bowl)

In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil. Add the onions, shallots, and garlic and sauté until they just begin to color. Transfer half the onion mixture to a blender or food processor. Puree and return to the pan. Add the wine, bay leaf and stock and simmer for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. The soup base may be prepared in advance to this point and stored and refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen indefinitely and reheated before finishing.

Just before serving, add the thyme, oregano, celery, leeks, and sherry to the hot soup base. Bring to a simmer and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove the bay leaf, stir in the chives, and garnish with a sprinkling of the gremolata.
Honored Contributor

I have accidently burned fresh garlic so many times! It totally ruins the dish so it has to be thrown away - thus I have reverted to using the dehydrated version of garlic. I do use real onion and generally use salt, pepper, onion and garlic on almost everything. However, i do believe that a light hand is best with garlic. when I see these celebrity chefs throwing several cloves in one dish it makes me gag. I hate when you get something at a restaurant and all you taste is garlic. It is supposed to enhance the flavor of the food - not be the only thing you taste.

Honored Contributor

Neither one! I'm allergic! They give me migraines right now! Makes it hard to order at a restaurant! But it's nice not to be a fire-breathing dragon of onion and garlic!