Respected Contributor

Re: One other thing, do you make something that could be snacked on in place of chips?

Rice cakes...either the parmesan cheese topped or caramel.

The roasted chic peas sound good, as do the pork rinds...have to look into them. Usually, when I'm hungry at night, I either grab an organic apple or yogurt.

Another thing that is high in protein and low in carbs is beef jerkey...a little pricey though for the amount I could eat.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Respected Contributor

Re: One other thing, do you make something that could be snacked on in place of chips?

I'm munching on microwave popcorn right now. No fat and very little salt. I got this Nordic Ware microwave popper from Amazon for $8.99 and it is awesome. You eat right out of the bowl you popped it in. No oil needed. Wipe it out and it's ready to use again.

I also love red bell pepper strips.

Frequent Contributor

Cold winter evenings make me crave junk food none stop. Doesn't matter if it's in the house or not. Veggies or fruit just won't do. Sometimes I can sub a cup of yogurt instead of ice cream and I'm happy. For chips, sometimes munch on oyster crackers. Not quite as bad.

Trusted Contributor

I enjoy crunchy foods (snacks) but don't eat potato or tortilla chips. I've been making kale chips lately and they are great. I take off the stems and wash and dry the kale. Put it on a cookie sheet with a little olive oil and some salt and herb/spice mix. Bake at 350 for about 12-14 minutes.

Roasted mixed nuts are also a good snack.

Contributor

I second kale chips. Easy to make and the kids love them!

Respected Contributor

On 2/16/2014 Snowpuppy said:

I count carbs so pork rinds are a good choice for something crunchy.

Nearly zero carbs, good protein value and there are a couple of varieties. I like BBQ..

Love pork skins!! My gramma made them in a big pot on her old gas stove.. I like them instead of crackers for chicken salad,etc.

Respected Contributor

I think if you could say whether you are counting calories, carbs, fats, it might help with ideas. Great suggestions so far.

Super Contributor

How about cherry tomatoes? They are delicious and go with sandwiches.

Super Contributor

On 2/16/2014 soonersis said:

I enjoy crunchy foods (snacks) but don't eat potato or tortilla chips. I've been making kale chips lately and they are great. I take off the stems and wash and dry the kale. Put it on a cookie sheet with a little olive oil and some salt and herb/spice mix. Bake at 350 for about 12-14 minutes.

At what point do they turn into chips?

Respected Contributor

Kale doesn't turn into the exact texture of a fried or baked chip. More like the crunch of a dead leaf. Different kind of crunch, thinner and more paper-like. You can get them at the supermarket but they are pricy. Nope, they don't magically replace chips but it's an alternative.