Valued Contributor

Re: One man's "stink" is another man's "aroma".

None of that bothers me at all but a long time ago we lived in an apartment building on an Army base.  My next door neighbor was cooking something that stunk up the whole building.  I went over to see what died.  She was cooking "chitlins".  Way, way worse than cabbage for sure.  

Honored Contributor

@hellokitty @I have never heard of chit.ins so I looked it up and that is something that I believe could smell worse than cabbage...did she offer some for you to try?

Respected Contributor

The sweet family who lives below my apartment are from India...and oh, their cooking stinks!  You can smell it through the whole stairwell.  I’m guessing it’s curry?  

Anyway, they have every right to cook what they want.  I just keep my door closed, and it doesn’t creep into my space.  And hold my breath when I go through the stairwell!

Valued Contributor

@dex  Yes, she did offer me some to try.  She just laughed when I politely declined.

Honored Contributor

My mother in law used to leave out cucumbers in vinegar

That was nasty stuff I couldn't take it rather smell a cow field

Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

Would it be possible for you to set your slow cooker under your range hood and turn the fan on low and let it help get rid of the cabbage smell?

Duh!  I do set the cooker on a sheet pan on top of my stove... directly under the range hood and it never occurred to me to leave the fan on!

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

@house_cat  cabbage . I usually just cook it in cooler weather on my stove top pressure cooker 5 + min ? I don't think I could stand it in a slow cooker. In fact many--even good odors get to me in slow cookers. When we lived in a house with upstairs I could not cook anything in a slow cooker overnight as I would wake up with a queasy stomach from the odors. The odors arose & seemed to concentrate. I used slow cookers when I worked --throw things in and come home to wonderful meals. But since being retired I don't use them as much.

If I do cook something with 'stank'  I open kitchen window a bit and aim our zillion fans that direction ! So far I haven't had neighbors storming ! Smiley Happy An air purifier brought into the room can help also.

Respected Contributor

On the flip side, I LOVE the smell of pancakes and sausage and syrup cooking up! It's hypnotic.  It makes me feel happy.

Honored Contributor

Every time I cook cabbage it seems my sister's husband drops over for some reason.  When I answer the door he always says " do you eat anything else besides cabbage?"

Stuffed cabbage " Sarma" is a common dish my husband makes and loves around the Christmas holidays.  It is stuffed cabbage cooked with sauerkraut.  I am used to the smell.  Actually, it smells pretty good.

Valued Contributor

My husband loves all types of fried food, especially fish.  He built himself a collapsible table on the back porch just so he can fry these foods outside.  The people that built the house we bought did not see fit to put in a vent over the stove so he just does the deep frying outside.

Other times, when we cook cabbage or the like inside, I just turn on the window fan for a few minutes to put fresh air into the house.  If I ever get to build a new house, I will definitely have a  vent over the stove !!!  Bowls of vinegar sitting around the house do help to absorb the bad smells in a pinch.