Honored Contributor

One man's "stink" is another man's "aroma".

I thought I was so slick yesterday, setting my slow cooker in the morning, anticipating stuffed cabbage rolls for dinner.

DH met a friend for coffee, midday, and when he returned he said he was "bowled over by the stink" when he opened the front door.  

Yes, they were yummy, but seriously... if you didn't know it was cabbage you would be sure the sewers had overflowed.  We ran the whole-house fan all night and I've got candles burning this morning, but it might take a couple of days to rid the place of the "aroma".

Do you ever hesitate to cook something because of the smell?

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

Re: One man's "stink" is another man's "aroma".

I cook cabbage dishes on the patio. 

Honored Contributor

@Mary Bailey 

Great idea, but not an option here, unfortunately.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

Just read a recipe online the other day that said to add a half a lemon to your water if you are boiling cauliflower so there would be no smell.  Wonder if you could do this in your slow cooker w/the cabbage. 

Valued Contributor

Whenever my mom cooked cabbage or anything "stinky" she either lit a vanilla candle or set out a bowl of vinegar. They both worked very well to get the stink out.

cookin

Honored Contributor

Would it be possible for you to set your slow cooker under your range hood and turn the fan on low and let it help get rid of the cabbage smell?

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

Here in the deep South, we put an unshelled pecan in with the cabbage or any other type of 'greens' when cooking, to kill the smell.

Not sure why/how it works but it does, maybe by absorbing the odor?

It has to be a pecan in it's shell.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

When I cook certain things in my crockpot I put in my garage lol. The reason why is because my eyes start burning so badly. I make sure it's something I can check on frequently. I'm super sensitive to many smells.

Honored Contributor

Onion/Garlic

I know both are good for you but the smell is so gross.

Just lingers. Hate having my place smell like a deli.

I’ll occasionally eat onion/garlic when eating out but cooking

with it at home? No way.  I’ll use the powders when cooking

but never fresh. 

Respected Contributor

I so hate the smell of food once it's been cooked and eaten. To me the worst is from steak and eggs.  Ugh the smell lingering makes me wanna vomit. Also, a Thai curry will ruin the air.  The stank of fish sauce is so unpleasant. And forget an Indian curry. That will get into the closets for goodness sake!  Also flame roasting peppers is very stanky. I hate it all.  Love to eat it though!