Honored Contributor

Re: On the prowl for the best HOT CHOCOLATE recipe!

I use ""Dove's"" milk chocolate bar and milk.

Trusted Contributor

On 1/13/2015 pas4116 said:

The Parisians know how to do it right. Chocolat Chaud served at various fine shops is thick, and intensely bittersweet. It's easy to make at home, but you do have to use high quality chocolate. I recommend Valrhona (@ Trader Joes) or other artisan brands. It should be 65-75%, or even 85% if you like it less sweet. If you serve it with some freshly whipped cream (unsweetened) you can call it Chocolat Chaud Viennoise.

Chocolat Chaud: Ladurée, Paris Sweets - Dorie Greenspan

Ingredients:
- 3 cups whole milk (750g)
- ? cup water (80g)
- ? cup sugar (65g)
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely ground (175g)

Instructions:
- Bring the milk, water, and sugar just to the boil in a medium saucepan. Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the chocolate. The hot chocolate needs to be blended at this point. At Ladurée, this is done with a hand-held blender. If you have this tool, leave the hot chocolate in the saucepan and whip it with the hand-held blender for 1 minute. If you don’t have a hand-held blender, transfer the chocolate to a traditional blender and whip on high speed for 1 minute. The chocolate should be served immediately, while it is still very hot and frothy. Alternatively, you can pour the chocolate into a container to cool; the cooled chocolate can be reheated or served chilled. The chocolate can be made up to 2 days ahead and kept tightly covered in the refrigerator.
- To make cold hot chocolate: Chill the hot chocolate until it is very cold, then stir in ¾ cup cold milk. Whip the cold chocolate for 1 minute with a hand-held blender. Serve the cold hot chocolate over an ice cube or two.

Bon Appetit!

Confused by the ? in front of water and sugar. Is there no added water or sugar? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Honored Contributor

On 1/15/2015 lavendar said:

There was a chocolatier down the block from me who made hot chocolate that was heaven. He was swiss and used his handmade truffles that weren't perfect looking. My mother always treated herself to one cup when she visited. I could tell when she had it; she looked like the cat the swallowed the canary. I bet it would work well in the Vitamix. I'm going to call those nice ladies in Vitamix land and ask.

Thanks, this gives me a great idea to use "Lindor milk chocolate truffles". I'm sure they would melt good. Yum{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Contributor

The drive thru at Starbucks! (especially on a chilly day!)

Honored Contributor

On 1/15/2015 Katey1261 said:

The Parisians know how to do it right. Chocolat Chaud served at various fine shops is thick, and intensely bittersweet. It's easy to make at home, but you do have to use high quality chocolate. I recommend Valrhona (@ Trader Joes) or other artisan brands. It should be 65-75%, or even 85% if you like it less sweet. If you serve it with some freshly whipped cream (unsweetened) you can call it Chocolat Chaud Viennoise.

Chocolat Chaud: Ladurée, Paris Sweets - Dorie Greenspan<br /> <br /> Ingredients:<br /> - 3 cups whole milk (750g)<br /> - ? cup water (80g)<br /> - ? cup sugar (65g)<br /> - 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely ground (175g)<br /> <br /> Instructions:<br /> - Bring the milk, water, and sugar just to the boil in a medium saucepan. Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the chocolate. The hot chocolate needs to be blended at this point. At Ladurée, this is done with a hand-held blender. If you have this tool, leave the hot chocolate in the saucepan and whip it with the hand-held blender for 1 minute. If you don’t have a hand-held blender, transfer the chocolate to a traditional blender and whip on high speed for 1 minute. The chocolate should be served immediately, while it is still very hot and frothy. Alternatively, you can pour the chocolate into a container to cool; the cooled chocolate can be reheated or served chilled. The chocolate can be made up to 2 days ahead and kept tightly covered in the refrigerator.<br /> - To make cold hot chocolate: Chill the hot chocolate until it is very cold, then stir in ¾ cup cold milk. Whip the cold chocolate for 1 minute with a hand-held blender. Serve the cold hot chocolate over an ice cube or two.

Bon Appetit!

Confused by the ? in front of water and sugar. Is there no added water or sugar? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Found the recipe online.

Chocolat Chaud: Ladurée, Paris Sweets - Dorie Greenspan

Ingredients:
- 3 cups whole milk (750g)
- 1/3 cup water (80g)
- 1/3 cup sugar (65g)
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely ground (175g)

Instructions:
- Bring the milk, water, and sugar just to the boil in a medium saucepan. Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the chocolate. The hot chocolate needs to be blended at this point. At Ladurée, this is done with a hand-held blender. If you have this tool, leave the hot chocolate in the saucepan and whip it with the hand-held blender for 1 minute. If you don’t have a hand-held blender, transfer the chocolate to a traditional blender and whip on high speed for 1 minute. The chocolate should be served immediately, while it is still very hot and frothy. Alternatively, you can pour the chocolate into a container to cool; the cooled chocolate can be reheated or served chilled. The chocolate can be made up to 2 days ahead and kept tightly covered in the refrigerator.
- To make cold hot chocolate: Chill the hot chocolate until it is very cold, then stir in ¾ cup cold milk. Whip the cold chocolate for 1 minute with a hand-held blender. Serve the cold hot chocolate over an ice cube or two.

http://www.parislovespastry.com/2010/09/ladurees-hot-chocolate.html

Trusted Contributor

On 1/15/2015 Katey1261 said:

Chocolat Chaud: Ladurée, Paris Sweets - Dorie Greenspan<br /> <br /> Ingredients:<br /> - 3 cups whole milk (750g)<br /> - ? cup water (80g)<br /> - ? cup sugar (65g)<br /> - 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely ground (175g)<br /> <br /> Instructions:<br /> - Bring the milk, water, and sugar just to the boil in a medium saucepan. Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the chocolate. The hot chocolate needs to be blended at this point. At Ladurée, this is done with a hand-held blender. If you have this tool, leave the hot chocolate in the saucepan and whip it with the hand-held blender for 1 minute. If you don’t have a hand-held blender, transfer the chocolate to a traditional blender and whip on high speed for 1 minute. The chocolate should be served immediately, while it is still very hot and frothy. Alternatively, you can pour the chocolate into a container to cool; the cooled chocolate can be reheated or served chilled. The chocolate can be made up to 2 days ahead and kept tightly covered in the refrigerator.<br /> - To make cold hot chocolate: Chill the hot chocolate until it is very cold, then stir in ¾ cup cold milk. Whip the cold chocolate for 1 minute with a hand-held blender. Serve the cold hot chocolate over an ice cube or two.

Bon Appetit!

Oops! I didn't realize it did not copy properly. It should be 5 tablespoons water and 5 tablespoons sugar. Pardonez-moi!

Trusted Contributor

On 1/13/2015 Nightowlz said:

Thx for sharing. I will have to try this. I like the hot chocolate from Williams & Sonoma but it's expensive. I kept not buying it because it's about $22 for a can of 8 servings. Well they had it on sale plus 20% off & free shipping so I bought 3 cans but they normally only let you use one code. When I checked out I received 20% off 2 cans & free shipping so I ended up paying about $12 per can. I love it with espresso powder. The hot chocolate is shaved Bittersweet Guittard chocolate.

The W/S shaved chocolate is wonderful! SOOOOO expensive! I've been using Ghiradelli chocolate bars cut or broken up in hot milk. If you want a really dark chocolate drink, use pre made chocolate milk from the grocery. Most of it is even low fat milk.

Also, I discovered that Spanish hot chocolate uses a touch of cornstarch to make it very thick and rich. Addition of a pinch of cinnamon and chili powder, is, I think more Mexican.

Anything with chocolate works for me. Hot chocolate to me is much better than hot cocoa.

Super Contributor

Just found something on Amazon that will knock your socks off--Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate by Grove Square -- a kcup.

Honored Contributor

I usually don't use a recipe, but I like to add vanilla, cinnamon, a pinch of salt, and nutmeg to mine. It's like Mexican Hot Chocolate, but without the cayenne.

Respected Contributor

Gardensia - did you find your perfect recipe?