Honored Contributor

Re: Old Stockpot help... MIrro aluminum. Stained Advice to restore.

Never put Aluminum in the dishwasher which you have learned too late I am sorry to tell you.

The surface gets etched, you could try some internet searching but if they are useful I would continue using them. I think the health issue has been debunked.

No tomato sauces or anything else acidic

Super Contributor

On 1/25/2015 tigriss said:
On 1/25/2015 GoodStuff said:

I hope the cleaning advice others have given is helpful.

I don't use aluminum cookware either. There's evidence that the aluminum leeches into foods and changes the chemistry. I've heard aluminum linked to brain problems like Alzheimer's. Stainless steel for me.

That is great, but what about tin foil and all those tin cans that your canned foods are in. They are pressure cooked in the cans at the factory, plus they are lined with BPA. There is some great science in it, but just stopping using aluminum pots and pans is not going to affect your health, just like the Teflon issue. Most of our cookware does not get anywhere near hot enough to case the health concerns that the research shows. I use stainless steel and cast iron because I prefer them, but at some point, my age would not allow me to use heavy pots and pans, so lightweight aluminum and non-stick will be what I end up using, unless there is another invention in some 40-50 years when I get to that point.

tigriss, ITA!

I included a link above (post #8 - Memory Loss Myths & Facts | Alzheimer's Association ) about aluminum cookware NOT being detrimental to our health, but here are a few others to further illustrate that point:

ATSDR - Public Health Statement: Aluminum (Agency for Toxic Substances & Disease Registry - aluminum cookware has no effect on health)

Cooking Utensils and Nutrition - The New York Times

Respected Contributor

Yes, I lived through the whole onslaught from the Southern Baptist Conventions emails on why BPA caused boys to be gay and girls to develop quicker. People just look for a cause when they can't explain it, then jump on it to their own detriment. What they forgot about BPA is that it is in every canned food, bottles used for meds, cosmetics, everything in a plastic bottle, plus food containers and lids. There are dangerous things out there, look at asbestos and how very well and quickly documented that was, but some of these things are quite far fetched in their "research", some are not, but require more significant studies to replicate the results. Aluminum and BPA either need far more specific research of quality not panicking for political/self purpose.

Trusted Contributor

First off, taking the word of an anonymous forum poster based on a pseudoscientific junk website is ridiculous -- period. NaturalNews is nothing but hokum.

Now, as far as the cookware goes, you are likely out of luck. The aluminum reacts to the oxidizers in the dish detergent and cannot be restored. Your best bet is t just trash them -- or recycle them.

Super Contributor

On 1/25/2015 KYToby said:

First off, taking the word of an anonymous forum poster based on a pseudoscientific junk website is ridiculous -- period. NaturalNews is nothing but hokum.

Now, as far as the cookware goes, you are likely out of luck. The aluminum reacts to the oxidizers in the dish detergent and cannot be restored. Your best bet is t just trash them -- or recycle them.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

But I'd keep the big pots! Even if you don't use them for cooking, they can come in handy, even in the garden when transplanting. I used to have a huge stockpot that I'd fill with water & plunk a fresh Christmas tree into before getting around to bringing the tree inside to decorate.

Respected Contributor

Heck, put them in with the can recycling to up your poundage for the spare money if you really don't want to use them, RECYCLE THEM.

Valued Contributor

I've been making tomato sauce in the same aluminum pan for over 55 years.
No adverse problems yet!

If you want to clean them up, make a big pot of tomato sauce, the acid in the tomatoes cleans them like magic!

That's how we roll in the shire..
Honored Contributor

Indeed. "NaturalNews" is a dreadful website, the source of a wealth of misinformation.

Also, great posts, Sabatini and tigress!

I've learned it takes at least a hundred truths to even begin to erase bad information, so it's worth repeating. And repeating.Wink

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Super Contributor

On 1/25/2015 Sabatini2 said:

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

But I'd keep the big pots! Even if you don't use them for cooking, they can come in handy, even in the garden when transplanting. I used to have a huge stockpot that I'd fill with water & plunk a fresh Christmas tree into before getting around to bringing the tree inside to decorate.

Great idea ! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/25/2015 adoreqvc said:
On 1/25/2015 bonnielu said:

Thanks so much. I had no idea. They are very large and I believe were only used for cooking large amounts of corn on the cob. Why she ever bought it was beyond me. But I am going to just get rid of it. When I saw them safely packed away I thought they were stainless... no such luck.

I am very appreciative of the advice.

I am so glad you read the information I provided above bonnielu, and will now also toss them in the trash. It was very thoughtful and sweet of you to consider giving your friend those items, but I am glad you received the important information that they do cause health issues, and are considered unsafe to use.

In my family we never used anything made of aluminum.

I still prefer SS cookware even though I have other types of cookware, but my preference is still SS.

(I inherited my beloved Mother's large Revere ware SS cookware set with copper bottoms, and it looks as brand new now as it did when she received it as an teenage bride to be. (Those years gals married earlier than they do now).

It was part of her trousseau from her family. Now I have it displayed in my kitchen. It performs beautifully with great results, cleans easily, and makes a lovely stately display presentation).

I love my inherited Revere ware stainless steel cookware set, and it is my absolute favorite of all my different type cooking items.

My Mother was a fabulous cook and taught me if the Revere SS cookware is warmed well on the stove before adding oil or butter, or whatever is preferred, nothing will stick.

She used to always say "Warm pans, cold oil and food won't stick".

I have the Revere Ware Stainless copper bottom from the day I was married. I cannot kill it. Nothing compares and except for a wobble or two from the handles, it looks like almost new.

I have tossed out the big ole pots. Thanks all for the advice.