Esteemed Contributor

Old Stockpot help... MIrro aluminum. Stained Advice to restore.

Found a box with two stockpots in them. I took everything my mother ever gave me after she had no use for them. Everything. You have no idea how much to be a good daughter and free her of her stuff that she thought would be great in my house.

I found a box of Mirro aluminun stockpots, in pretty good shape. I have a young friend with a young family and I asked her if she wanted them. The answer was a quick yes. So without thinking I put them in the dishwasher. Well before they went in to the wash they were mirror perfect. When I took them out they were stained and spotted. Three hours later, I simply give up. I have tried everything to restore them. What an ugly mess.

Is all lost? Is there a product to make them look better, take the dark spots off and restore them. Or was my mistake by trying to make them clean and perfect a fatal decision. I doubt if she will want them now. I don't even want them now. And I looked them up and Mirro is no longer made and not sold except in second hand websites.

Respected Contributor

Re: Old Stockpot help... MIrro aluminum. Stained Advice to restore.

Hi bonnielu,

There are some alerts on the internet about cookware which is no longer considered safe.

Unfortunately aluminum cookware is included as being toxic causing health problems....but you read and research yourself, then decide if you still want to clean your aluminum cookware, and gift it to a young mother with children.

(If it were me though I would toss it all away, and not give it to a mother with children, or anyone else for that matter).

Also knowing what you do about aluminum and it being considered toxic and unsafe please tell the young mother so she too knows not to use it in her household.

When your Mom purchased these items perhaps at that time they did not know that aluminum is toxic and unsafe to use in the kitchen.

(Now we know better so we can safeguard ourselves and those we like and love).

Is your cookware killing you? Some cookware is better than others and some is just plain toxic.... click on the link below:

http://www.naturalnews.com/036029_cookware_non-stick_chemicals.html

Aluminum cookware is one of the most common cookware to use, but can be very toxic as this heavy metal is absorbed into all food cooked in it. The aluminum released into foods during cooking ends up in your body. Excess aluminum has been associated with estrogen-driven cancers and Alzheimer's Disease.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is some help below with links, should you still need help to clean the aluminum cookware.

P.S. Do not use barkeeper's friend on them as that will harm them and is not made for aluminum.

These links below are specific hints and help to restore and clean aluminum cookware.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdTpp_Z_8Fo

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Housecleaning Tips : Aluminum Cleaner Recipe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH-GyGj8Z7M
A recipe for cleaning aluminum pots and pans consists of a quarter cup of cream of tartar, a quarter cup of vinegar, a quarter cup of baking soda and 2 tablespoons of soap flakes. Scrub this mixture into the aluminum for a deep clean with advice from a professional house cleaner in this free video on housekeeping.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cleaning Aluminum Pots how to:

https://ask.extension.org/questions/111278

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Respected Contributor

I hope the advice from adoreqvc works. Ive never had any luck in restoring stained aluminum. I love aluminum for baking, as it heats so well and so evenly. But dishwasher detergent is too harsh for it. Also, aluminum shouldn't be soaked in water as it will discolor. I don't think the discoloration affects the use of it, it just looks bad. I have some Mirror baking pans. It's good stuff. I'm sorry they don't make Mirro anymore. I don't have any aluminum stockpots, though. Acidic foods shouldn't be cooked in plain aluminum - such as tomatoes, as the food can taste off.
Trusted Contributor

I hope the cleaning advice others have given is helpful.

I don't use aluminum cookware either. There's evidence that the aluminum leeches into foods and changes the chemistry. I've heard aluminum linked to brain problems like Alzheimer's. Stainless steel for me.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks so much. I had no idea. They are very large and I believe were only used for cooking large amounts of corn on the cob. Why she ever bought it was beyond me. But I am going to just get rid of it. When I saw them safely packed away I thought they were stainless... no such luck.

I am very appreciative of the advice.

Respected Contributor

On 1/25/2015 GoodStuff said:

I hope the cleaning advice others have given is helpful.

I don't use aluminum cookware either. There's evidence that the aluminum leeches into foods and changes the chemistry. I've heard aluminum linked to brain problems like Alzheimer's. Stainless steel for me.

That is great, but what about tin foil and all those tin cans that your canned foods are in. They are pressure cooked in the cans at the factory, plus they are lined with BPA. There is some great science in it, but just stopping using aluminum pots and pans is not going to affect your health, just like the Teflon issue. Most of our cookware does not get anywhere near hot enough to case the health concerns that the research shows. I use stainless steel and cast iron because I prefer them, but at some point, my age would not allow me to use heavy pots and pans, so lightweight aluminum and non-stick will be what I end up using, unless there is another invention in some 40-50 years when I get to that point.

Respected Contributor

On 1/25/2015 bonnielu said:

Thanks so much. I had no idea. They are very large and I believe were only used for cooking large amounts of corn on the cob. Why she ever bought it was beyond me. But I am going to just get rid of it. When I saw them safely packed away I thought they were stainless... no such luck.

I am very appreciative of the advice.

I am so glad you read the information I provided above bonnielu, and will now also toss them in the trash. It was very thoughtful and sweet of you to consider giving your friend those items, but I am glad you received the important information that they do cause health issues, and are considered unsafe to use.

In my family we never used anything made of aluminum.

I still prefer SS cookware even though I have other types of cookware, but my preference is still SS.

(I inherited my beloved Mother's large Revere ware SS cookware set with copper bottoms, and it looks as brand new now as it did when she received it as an teenage bride to be. (Those years gals married earlier than they do now).

It was part of her trousseau from her family. Now I have it displayed in my kitchen. It performs beautifully with great results, cleans easily, and makes a lovely stately display presentation).

I love my inherited Revere ware stainless steel cookware set, and it is my absolute favorite of all my different type cooking items.

My Mother was a fabulous cook and taught me if the Revere SS cookware is warmed well on the stove before adding oil or butter, or whatever is preferred, nothing will stick.

She used to always say "Warm pans, cold oil and food won't stick".

Esteemed Contributor

Your Mom was a wise woman. I heard that statement and it really works!

Super Contributor

bonnie, I wouldn't throw the pots out! Yeah, the dishwasher ruined their looks, but not their functionality.

I disagree about the inherent danger of cooking with aluminum pots and pans, and don't buy into the 'aluminum cookware is dangerous', or 'aluminum cookware causes Alzheimer's disease' thing. That was debunked years ago.

Memory Loss Myths & Facts | Alzheimer's Association (Regarding a link btwn Alzheimer's and aluminum cookware - Alzheimer's Association says FALSE)

Respected Contributor

Well they'll never have that mirror finish again, but you can take a SS scrubber and remove the discoloration, they'll just be brushed aluminum. I certainly wouldn't toss them

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*