Honored Contributor

Re: Oh, no! I didn't expect this result!

Sorry, but I would not be as accomodating as you.  They eat what I fix or go hungry.  My house is not Burger King, they cant have it their way.

Seriously, I wish you luck and a great Thanksgiving.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Trusted Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@jannabelle1 wrote:

I guess I don't understand, but if most of your family is asking for lasagna, why make it vegetarian? The best lasagna isn't vegetarian! JMO!

5 out of 10 of us don't eat meat.  At first I figured they could eat the vegetarian dish, but if I can make the lasagna also a vegetarian option that would be more inclusive.

@LoveMyBaby 

I love the idea of putting the eggplant in it. My family all loves eggplant, in fact, one of the vegetarian options was eggplant parmesan.  I won't make both eggplant parm and lasagna because they are too similar, but if I can combine the two, that sounds like a win/win.

@house_cat  Just a suggestion, add some mushrooms too. 

I don't know why, but I've always had to add a little extra Italian seasonings when working with eggplant. I have a feeling your veggie lasagna will be very delish!

Esteemed Contributor

I was surprised how many comments that lasagna isn't lasagna without meat. I used to make it quite often, never once used meat or meat sauce in it. Always meatballs and sausage on the side. 

Respected Contributor

To me, veggie lasagna is like turkey burgers.  It will never fool anyone that it is not the "real thing", but is excellent anyway. 

My fav veggie lasanga has white sauce (can be alfredo, or you can make your own using flour.)   Zucchini, carrots, spinich, egglant all work.

Good luck!  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

I was surprised how many comments that lasagna isn't lasagna without meat. I used to make it quite often, never once used meat or meat sauce in it. Always meatballs and sausage on the side. 

I don't understand that either.  My Italian family never added ground meat to the sauce or to pasta dishes.

We always had meatballs, pork, chicken, beef short ribs, sausage  or chicken on the side...always cooked in the sauce, unless we had marinara sauce made with no meat.

Ground meat would never be served to company just added to the sauce.  That isn't Italian meat sauce. That is cheap sauce.

Honored Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

To me, veggie lasagna is like turkey burgers.  It will never fool anyone that it is not the "real thing", but is excellent anyway. 

My fav veggie lasanga has white sauce (can be alfredo, or you can make your own using flour.)   Zucchini, carrots, spinich, egglant all work.

Good luck!  

@Peaches McPhee IF I can use real dairy in it, I will guarantee you that I can make you a "real" lasagna that you would absolutely not miss the meat, unless you are used to lasagna that is very high percent meat.

From eggplant, mushrooms you get the mouth feel and sensation of meat when mixed with the dairy, which provides some fat and mouth feel for richness. Spinach chopped and mixed with cheese, egg and milk also does a lot for the sensation of richness. I always include a couple of layers of this.

And like I say, I am a big meat eater--and was surprised at how satisfying you can make lasagna with only one (or even no) layers of noodles and meat sauce, but layers of veggies, cheeses, eggs and sauce. 

Honored Contributor

I'd have a bowl of sauteed veggies as well as a bowl of meat balls.  I'd serve the noodles with sauce and pass the plates.  They can have their pick from the veggies as well as the sauced meatballs.  Have a bowl of grated Parmesian.  Garlic bread or onion bread which I'll share my Onion Bread recipe.  VERY yummy.

From now on, I'd suggest a planned menu, my Dear.Smiley Happy

Onion Bread

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

• loaf French bread cut width of your little finger.

1-1½ sticks butter

1 large onion, grated with liquid

Aluminum foil

Bake sheet

On bake sheet with a piece of aluminum foil, place cut French bread as a loaf with pieces still standing in order.

Mix melted butter into grated onion.

Using a pastry brush, brush on butter mixture with onion (meat) onto one side of each piece of bread. 

Baste the loaf top with the rest of butter.

Fold the foil closely to close and bake for 20-30 minutes until well heated.  You can part the foil to toast the top only a minute (don’t dry it out).

Reheats well!

Respected Contributor

@house_cat   I'm sure whatever you serve for Christmas Eve will be delicious.  If I were one of your invitees my top choice would be the fettucine with shrimp, scallop and clams in garlic/olive oil.

Hope you have a wonderfully happy Thanksgiving tomorrow.  Enjoy the long weekend.

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 

I would be delighted to have you!

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

From those choices, the lasagna would have gotten my vote too.  As for vegetarian lasagna, I'll pass.