Not applicable

Odor in my silicone gasket for pressure cooker

I just received my techniques 8.5 Q round pressure cooker and love it so far. The only problem I have is the silicone gasket seal around the lid. It smells like Cumin and garlic from my last two recipes! I have tried everything from baking soda to vinegar to both together and no luck removing the smell. I aslo tried Dawn. Can't stand the strong odor coming from it! It is not making my recipes take on those flavors but it is smelling up my cabinents terribly!

Re: Odor in my silicone gasket for pressure cooker

[ Edited ]

It smells horrible! I used mine for the first time and was going nuts the next day trying to pin point the smell. Come to find out it was the gasket (I left the pressure cooker dismantled on my counter.). It doesn't seem like everyone has the problem. I wonder what the difference is? 

Mine is the 4qt cook essentials and my first and only recipe also had cumin and garlic in it but I didn't pinpoint that as the smell till I read this.  I just knew it didn't smell good. 

Respected Contributor

mine smells like chicken, since that's what i do most of. i think the smell is here to stay. it doesn't affect the taste and that's what matters most, to me.

Honored Contributor

LOL!!! One of my pressure cooker smells like bbq since I have made so much pulled pork in it.

Smiley Wink

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

I would just deal with the smell, if you mess with the gasket too much and you could end up ripping it. And depending on how old your p/c maybe(even if new)you may have a hard time trying to get a replacement.

Respected Contributor

If it stinks up the cabinets, why not store it in a 1 gallon Zip lock? The gasket, I meaN....

Respected Contributor

Yes I have the 8.5 a Technique and worry about gasket repacement ..do they even still make it? Is there another brand that fits?

Regular Contributor

Months ago a replier to a subject similar to this stated she had an old Cook's Essentials electric p/c that stopped working and was willing to send it to whom ever wanted it for parts.

I took them up on their offer, mainy because the gasket for the one I have is no longer available.

I was sent the lid, gasket and inner liner, no cost to me. I did offer. You meet nice people here.