Valued Contributor

Odd ingredient for potatoe salad but oh my is it good...

You will think yuck at first but it's actually yummy!!!

12 gold potatoes that have been peeled, and chopped into bite size pieces, simmered until done

6 hard boiled eggs, chopped or sliced (your preference)

3 stalks celery, sliced thin

handful of radishes, sliced

1/4 c chopped red onion

a glob of relish (however much you want)

Here's the odd part: 1 can sweetened condensed milk, I know it sounds weird.

4 T Dijon mustard

1/2 c mayonnaise

salt and pepper

That's it, it sounds sort of ewwww but it's really, really good.

I came across this recipe on a food blog and gave it a try. We liked it very much. Sorry I do not remember which website or I would give credit where it's due.

Contributor

Re: Odd ingredient for potatoe salad but oh my is it good...

Ummm. I'm going to try it. BBQ at a friend's tomorrow. Thanks! It's 84 here, hense the BBQ aka Baby Shower. I'll let you know how it goes Smiley Happy
Respected Contributor

I would try this...without the radishes, lol! My brother (58 years old) made potato salad for a family get-together this past weekend, and he substitued diced green bell pepper for the celery. It was absolutely delicious! I don't much care for celery, so liked this. He also left the skin on the red potatoes (he used white & red).

Valued Contributor

The condensed milk is used in a Mennonite Macaroni salad a lot around here. So good. Never tried it with potato salad, but will give it a try sometime.

Super Contributor

Well, I could eat sweetened condensed milk right out of the can so obviously I love the stuff. But even for me, it seems too sweet. Having said that, I would like to try it!
Honored Contributor

It sounds good. Think I'll try it but leave out the radish. Is the celery diced / cut into small pieces or does the salad have thin celery sticks? Thanks.

Valued Contributor

I just sliced the celery as thin as I could on the diagonal.

Hope you all like it. We did here at our house.

Honored Contributor

These ingredients are commonly found in potato salad recipes, except for the radishes. Some other common additions, not necessarily used together, include pickle juice, sour cream and apples. I collect recipes.

Super Contributor

I'll try it without the radishes and add very little celery but have to have small pieces of seeded cucumber in my potato salad. It gives the salad a fresher taste or so say my taste buds.

Grow old my body but stay young my heart
Honored Contributor

My favorite potato salad at a local restaurant tastes a little sweet so I'm wondering if they use sweetened condensed milk in their homemade salad. That thought would never have crossed my mind until I saw your recipe.