Respected Contributor

Oct. 4 Today is NATIONAL TACO DAY What do you like on yours???

I like to make taco's where I fry the corn tortilla myself. I can fry it soft or fry it hard. Sometimes the premade hard shells break on you.

I did bring fresh tortillas and a tortilla press in my carry on from CA. The bag checker just smiled. I said we can't get these back in NC. This was way back in 80's.

I like ground beef, instead of shredded meat. I like chopped onion, garlic powder, salt and pepper in the meat. Don't like the Taco Seasoning packet stuff. I like lettuce, tomato, raw chopped onion, cheese and some taco sauce on them.

I like a bowl of refried beans on the side. Perfect meal !!!

Honored Contributor

Re: Oct. 4 Today is NATIONAL TACO DAY What do you like on yours???

My favorite tacos are fish tacos...especially on vacation in sunny FLA!

Respected Contributor

Tacos were first written about in 1520 by Spanish explorers to the New World.

The first known English-language taco recipes appeared in California cookbooks in 1914.

Did you know that in Mexico tacos are eaten in the morning or as a bedtime snack? They eat their main meal in the afternoon, so it’s hard to buy tacos between noon and six.

From: http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/Tortilla_Taco_history.htm

____

I don’t eat tacos. I really dislike the hard shells, and I don’t like anything with hot pepper.

Honored Contributor

WOW - we had tacos at home last night for dinner - TASTY!!! Fish tacos done with tilapia loins. I've decided that I like soft tacos instead of crunchy ones. I hate it when I bite into a crunchy shell and my stuffing falls out!!! I cut up fresh garden tomatoes, green onions, lettuce, avocados sprinkled w/a tad of lemon juice and Mrs Dash southwestern chipotle seasoning (LOVE ALL Mrs Dash's!!!), 2 cheeses (sharp cheddar or Mexican Cojito).

Honored Contributor

I also fry my own corn tortillas for tacos. What is with it with those boxed ones? Nasty.

When my children were small tacos had ground meat fried with lots of cumin, shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, grated cheese. It was a make your own deal. Korean tacos are their favorite now. I favor fish tacos and there is restaurant on the lake that makes yam tacos and they are delicious!

Respected Contributor

We like the soft CORN shells. I warm them between 2 damp sheets of paper towels in the microwave and also keep them warm under 2 sheets of paper towels. I use 92% chopped sirloin, package of Old El Paso taco mix, and top with chopped lettuce, chopped onions, shredded cheddar cheese, and a thinly sliced tomato. Top everything with your favorite warmed up salsa.....and then top that with a slice of avocado.

Respected Contributor

Remember when you could buy tortillas in a can? I loved those, they were full of flavor. I think they were Old El Paso brand, this was before they became popular in plastic bags.

Respected Contributor

I only used soft corn tortillas. I buy them from a lady in town. Shredded beef only, or chicken, or fish. With the beef and chicken, I like cheddar cheese, olives, tomatoes, shredded lettuce. I make the beef and chicken in the crock pot and pull it. With the fish, I like slaw or red cabbage.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero