Regular Contributor
Happy cat, sounds like you may be near my Sister. She's closer to LR than Ft Smith.
Super Contributor
NC we pay $386 plus a 550 gallon oil tank which cost $1800 to fill.its crazy people don't make that much money.
Super Contributor
On 5/8/2014 FunkyHulaGirl said:

Thanks everyone - I'm trying to think of some way to help her out; something is definitely wrong! I'm sending her the URL for this thread; it's clear that her bill is NOT normal. Hopefully she can find an organization that can investigate this; her bill is totally absurd!

Hi, I just noticed your post and just had to acknowledge what a good friend you are. Your kindness and thoughtfulness, really made me want to help you & her, I hate to see anyone taken advantage of and something definitely sounds off. I agree with you, it does seem unusually high, even with a cold winter etc. Not knowing the area, where she is or which electric company she uses, I did a general search for Cost of average electric bill in Maryland and I found a website that might help http://calc.myenergy.com/ According to that the average electrical bill in the Baltimore area (again not familiar with the area) for November is $104.35, December $121.84. It did seem to match some of the other sites that I saw.

I also found another website http://www.home-ec101.com/electrical-bill-woes/

that lists possible causes for unusually high electric bills and lists some important things she should probably have checked, not only because of the high bill, but safety too.

Electrical Bill Woes

Tim says:

The day starts out great. You got a good nights sleep, the birds are chirping, and there was bacon for breakfast! Then the mail comes and you notice an ominous little dark cloud start to form. The electrical bill has arrived, and when you open it you can distinctly hear Beethoven’s Fifth playing somewhere, and off in the distance, a dog howls… D’oh! So, what caused your electric bill to inflate like the national debt? Excluding the obvious change of seasons, here are the top 5 common causes:

1.) Faulty equipment: The two biggest electrical loads in most households are the A/C system and the hot water heater. An unusually high bill may be indicative to a problem with either of them. For example, if the A/C system develops a small refrigerant leak, the condenser will have to work overtime to maintain the same temperature and most folks won’t realize that it’s running any differently. It’s even worse with the hot water heater due to any lack of noise to indicate it’s running. If the elements are dirty or there is an excess buildup of sediment in the tank, the hot water heater will use a lot more energy to maintain the same tank temperature.

Another item to watch out for is an appliance like the dishwasher or washing machine that has an “automatic” setting that allows it to base it’s cleaning cycle time off of the amount of food or dirt present. The idea behind these types of systems is to actually save electricity by only running the device long enough to attain proper cleanliness. This is achieved by use of sensors in the drain line that detect particulates in the water. The problem is, if the sensors get dirty the system may always see a certain level of filth and keep the appliance running much longer than it needs to. Similar to this is the electric clothes dryer: if the lint trap is full, or the exhaust line is clogged from years of use it will greatly cut down on the efficiency.Although refrigerators and freezers don’t use nearly the amount of electricity as the aforementioned appliances, they can still have an impact on the utility bill. If the seals around the door are leaking, the unit is low on refrigerant, or if the door gets accidentally left ajar, it will cause the compressor to run much longer than it needs to, increasing the appliance’s consumption.

2.) House Guests: Yes house guests – I’m not saying that they’re thieving your precious kilowatts in the dead of night, but the simple increase in household occupancy leads to more dishes, more laundry, more cooking, and hopefully more showers and baths. Not much can be done here except to be aware of this when the bill arrives next month.

3.) New electronics: Did you just treat yourself to a new Plasma or LCD flat screen? Possibly with the addition of a 1000w surround sound system? How about that new gaming computer with the latest and greatest cpu and graphics card? They’re all power hungry devices and due to the “newness” they’ll probably get used a lot more in the first few months than normal which will lead to an increased electrical usage. To help this, it’s a good practice to shut down any computer or completely turn off any TV/stereo when not in use due to the constant electrical drain caused by a device in standby mode.

4.) Utility Company: It may not be your fault. Utility companies may change the cost per KWH (kilowatt hour) without you knowing. This can be verified by close examination of the bill. Another trick they like to do is if they’re unable to get an accurate meter reading for a certain month (for various reasons), they’ll bill you on what’s called a forecast amount. Depending on the clarity of their crystal ball, the estimate may be grossly inaccurate and the difference will be applied to your next bill.

5.) Bad Karma: Yes bad karma… Have you forsaken Ohm’s Law? Repent by hugging an Electrical Engineer (though do yourself a favor and announce your intentions, as most are unfamiliar with this practice and could get quite twitchy). On a serious note, if you live in an apartment, townhouse, or neighborhood with extremely close neighbors, one of them may have questionable scruples. An extension cord going from an outside outlet on the back of your utility shed may be providing power for someone else’s indoor horticulture project or other nefarious lab experiments. I only mention this because it’s happened in the past.

That last one crossed my mind, too.

I think the best thing to do, is to contact the electric company, explain the situation and have them do an audit/investigation (as far as I know there is no charge) the sooner the better, if for no other reason than to rule out faulty equipment and keep everyone safe.

I hope it has a happy and not so expensive outcome.

tkins

Respected Contributor

Thanks, tkins - I'll make sure she checks it out. It would be great if they found out what was wrong....and she got a bunch of money back (if that's not too much to hope for).

Honored Contributor
My budget plan runs about $70/mo for my 1600 sq ft home. I use an evaporative cooler for summertime cooling and they only run about $20, a month to operate. I have gas heat.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

My usual bill in winter is about $200 (mostly for the fan on the boiler). In the summer, it's more like $35-45.

I got a bill last month for $850 and I went ballistic. National Grid said it was a cold winter & they had to pay more for their power.

I went to my US Senators, state officials and local too. It turned out the many people received outrageous bills, even though their usage was the same in Feb. as it was in March.

My April bill just came $85.

They are being investigated for gouging.

Esteemed Contributor

We have a large home in central Florida. We are all electric. Rarely run the furnace (I like to open all the windows when it finally gets cold). Our monthly bill runs between $300 and $400. We have a pool and well, which use electricity. We pay a lot more here than we did in Ohio.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead