Respected Contributor

I was having a conversation with a friend via PM, and she was telling me her electric bill is $1300 a month - that's more than my mortgage! {#emotions_dlg.scared} She said it was $800 until recently, when it went "way up" (I'd say she was already there, at $800)!) She lives in MD an hour outside of DC and her daughter and 3 grandchildren live with her.

OTOH, I live alone (well, there's the critters, but they don't use much electric Wink) and for an entire fairly large house in the mid-south pay around $40 a month. (My gas heat averages $57 a month on the budget plan.) Even when I lived in areas where the cost of living was high - NYC and Hawaii - my bill was never over $100 a month.

Anyway, I'm just curious - is your bill anywhere near as high as hers? I can't begin to imagine paying that much....

Honored Contributor

We installed solar panels for our electric about two years ago and have cut our electric bill by about 75%.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

My electric level billing is $60/mo, and it looks like they'll owe me a few free months again this year. My gas level billing $46, and I'm still way in the black and heating season is over, so I'll have a few free months for this utility as well.

Valued Contributor

My electric bill was $800 for 2 months. I live in NY. We get a bill every two months. It's ridiculous!!

I think I'm pretty careful too

Honored Contributor

I am on budget billing and my bill is $125 a month. It used to be $95, but they "adjusted" it after the never ending winter. I don't have gas, just electric, and there are two of us.

Honored Contributor

I am on the budget plan...it covers electric, water, sewage and garbage pick up, it runs about $230.00 month. One month out of the year usually in September we have an adjustment month, bill either goes up or down that month and then the budget is set for the the next 11 months. I like knowing what my bill will be each month.

I also pay $25.00 a month for our gas fireplace, I am on the budget for that as well, summer it's a minimal charge but I pay $25.00 so that I am overpaid for the winter months.

Respected Contributor

There are 2 adults in my household and my budget plan electric bill is $110 per month. Gas is another $92 a month. Utilities are expensive here and we are rather frugal. Our house is about 2,250 square feet.

Honored Contributor

I live close to Maryland, just 10 miles from my town where I live. have heard some people do pay high electric rates in Maryland. Never have lived there so I can't really say if it is that high.

living in Delaware, electric rates are outrageous here. I pay $220.00 a month, (rates are going up come 1 June, 014) during the winter (we do have run an large room electric heater $350,00 a month). have heard from people here in Delaware are in the $800.00-900.00 range monthly. I am not sure what these people use electrically. I know that some do have pools and keep their pools heated.

I heat my house by propane (Delaware is just getting natural gas). talk about outrageous prices. during winter into the $200.00 a month range and we keep the house at 60 degrees.

Super Contributor
No! I have a 2800 square foot house all electric just two people and my highest bill during a cold January is about $300. The average bill in the winter is about $200 a month. That is Keeping the house at 65 degrees all day and all night. In the summer, when the heat is off, our bill runs about $80 a month (we do not use air conditioning, just fans when warm.) We are fortunate here in the Pacific NW to have cheap electricity compared to the rest of the country. Oh, and our house is not energy efficient....we need new windows. I am sure that would help make our bills lower.
Respected Contributor

Our Florida Power & Light (FPL) bill runs around $170 a month. The house is all electric: AC, cooking, hot water, etc. It is within our means.