Esteemed Contributor

OK, dumb question, how do u eat your plain tomatoes?

I can eat tomatoes in a salad, but with a bite of something else.  I don't like just plain tomatoes.  My sister loves them, fried, in a tomato sandiwch or just chunked up on a plate.  She said she is like our Dad who preferred them in chunks as opposed to sliced.  Huh!!  I said it's the same food no matter how it's cut.  Mom said the same thing.

A banana just peeled and eaten tastes the same as a sliced banana.  Onions, carrots or celery same taste diced or sliced. etc.

She said to her they taste better, meatier.  I don't get it.

Anyone else think they taste better her way?

Honored Contributor

Re: OK, dumb question, how do u eat your plain tomatoes?

I usually cut them up and then put a splash of balsamic vinegar and olive oil in with them--then I have truffle salt that I add a few pinches as well. but I eat the sweet cherry toms plain all the time. the big heirlooms are fabulous cut thick with salt and pepper tho.

Respected Contributor

I have had them sliced or cut in wedges but can't say they tasted better one way or the other. 

Respected Contributor

Unfortunately, I like them with a lot of salt. Woman Embarassed

Respected Contributor

My favorite is ripe, sprayed off with hose, salted and fresh off of the vine in my yarden. That is if the pesky little squirrels haven't beaten me to them.

I have never made a good fried green tomato except at other people's house.

At the first of the season I like a 'mater' sandwich = a healthy bread (or sourdough) with a lot of mayo .

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

I can eat tomatoes in a salad, but with a bite of something else.  I don't like just plain tomatoes.  My sister loves them, fried, in a tomato sandiwch or just chunked up on a plate.  She said she is like our Dad who preferred them in chunks as opposed to sliced.  Huh!!  I said it's the same food no matter how it's cut.  Mom said the same thing.

A banana just peeled and eaten tastes the same as a sliced banana.  Onions, carrots or celery same taste diced or sliced. etc.

She said to her they taste better, meatier.  I don't get it.

Anyone else think they taste better her way?

@CrazyKittyLvr2   I always eat mine in chunks unless they are going on a sandwich.  It's easier that way......no need to waste time cutting them up Smiley Happy.  Being Italian, we always doctored them up w/olive oil and spices....yum!

Honored Contributor

Love eating tomatoes.  Have them in salad and LOVE tomato sandwiches.  Just put on salad dressing Miracle whip (don't like mayo)  salt & pepper and eat.  No fuss. 

Honored Contributor

You're right.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like them plain cut in chunks or sliced Smiley Happy  or cut up in a salad.  Used to always have salt on them, so good, but since I stopped using salt except what comes naturally in food I dont use salt.   Also like a tomato sandwich with mayo or a BLT Smiley Happy

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Trusted Contributor

@okaywitheasypay Yum! Tomato sandwich with mayo. Soft Evangeline Maid bread is a must. If a piece or 2 of crispy bacon get in there, all the better. Smiley Happy