Honored Contributor

OK Come On! Fess Up! Name A Food You Messed Up While Preparing!

Since tomorrow is Thanksgiving and some of us watched our favorite SOAP stars deep fry a FROZEN turkey (a mess), I wondered what are some of the dishes some of you prepared that ended up (in the beginning, of course) being a mess!  I've never been known for my cooking.  I can make (so I'm told) really good Lasagna, stuffing and a few things....but one mess that really sticks out (so many, so little time) is the following....

The year was 1978 and we'd just moved into our new house.  I had two very small daughters and a bright up to date (to me) kitchen.....with a built in microwave oven....(stay with me).

So, I decided I'd make spaghetti for our first  meal in the new house.  Little children love spaghetti.  I've never been one to read any directions for anything......

I decided to cook the noodles in the microwave....(hummm???)  I checked on it and it seemed like it just wasn't cooking and the sauce was ready.   I set the time for a few more minutes.....(everyone was starving)....and soooo exicted.....

I took the spaghetti out of the microwave, poured it into strainer...I was in a hurry so I didn't notice it had stuck together....I put it in a big bowl and poured over the sauce...

When I set it on the table my girls started to cry and said they weren't going to each such a big noodle (the entire package became one major noodle on steroids)....My sweet husband went in a got a sharp knife and cut the giant noodle....I started crying...my first meal in the new house and it was a mess!

We'd already been married for 13 years but when that sweet husband of mine bit into that big squishy noodle, I knew we'd be married forever.  For it must have been true love that  made him THINK he could chew (and swallow) that squishy, thick, crunchy noodle!  

By then I was really crying, the girls were crying and my poor husband was trying to say something.....but the noodle held his teeth and he couldn't open his mouth.  I yelled..."Don't swallow that or you'll choak...it won't go down your throat".  He was trying to talk....(I couldn't understand what he was saying).....Finally he opened his mouth and spit out enough so he could speak...

His first words were, "It's OK...I love you..just don't EVER cook spaghetti in the microwave again"....then he started laughing and said, "You weren't trying to kill me...were you?"

So, that, ladies is the fiasco of my first meal in this house using the microwave.  To this day I just use it for heating up stuff.

It took him about 1/2 hour to get that stuff (toothbrush and all) out of his mouth and off of his teeth.

Now that is love (ps I don't think I'd have tasted it...).

Honored Contributor

Re: OK Come On! Fess Up! Name A Food You Messed Up While Preparing!

I did not know how to cook when I got married (I never paid any attention and my mother was not a good cook).  I could only make poached eggs and cinnamon toast so everything was a learning experience.  One day I decided to make mashed potatoes so I peeled them, cut them up and tried mashing them with a potato masher but could not do it so I went to the next door neighbor to ask her what I was doing wrong.  She could hardly stop laughing long enough to tell me I had to cook them first!

Honored Contributor

My first mishap also involved pasta. It was Thanksgiving, and I was a young teen who thought it would be a good idea to make turkey soup out of the carcass. Great. Unfortunately , I must have dumped a whole box of pasta in the soup, because the next day it was one solid mass o bloated ditalini. Lesson learned.🍲🍲

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

The first turkey I ever made as an adult, I forgot to take all the bags out!!

We had just moved to Florida and I invited all the neighbor women over for brunch, and forgot to turn the oven on when I put in the quiche.

Regular Contributor

I didn't know how to cook when I got married either.  One day, as a young newlywed, I decided to bake a cake as a treat for my husband.  I think it was a mix, not from scratch.  Apparently I measured something wrong, baked it for a looooong time, and ended up with a soupy mess.  My husband came home from work to find me crying and he could NOT stop laughing at me and the watery cake goo.  Well, that upset me even more.  I do OK now, but will never be considered an excellent cook.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My husband and I were newlyweds and gathered ripe gooseberries from our bushes and decided to make a pie. He had made pies with his grandmother but I'd never tried. We mixed the dough for crust, floured the marble-topped island, grabbed the new rolling pin, flouring it first, and rolled out the crust, but it kept sticking to the rolling pin. We scraped the dough off the rolling pin, put flour all over everything again and tried again. And again. The dough kept sticking. Finally, I scraped the lumps of dough off the rolling pin yet again, tossed them into the pie pan and crudely patted the dough to cover the pan. My husband looked at me and said of the mess, "Perfect!" Which made both of us laugh. I grabbed the rolling pin and tossed it the trash, laughing, "We're never doing that again." And we have never made another pie with our own crust.

Esteemed Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I did not know how to cook when I got married (I never paid any attention and my mother was not a good cook).  I could only make poached eggs and cinnamon toast so everything was a learning experience.  One day I decided to make mashed potatoes so I peeled them, cut them up and tried mashing them with a potato masher but could not do it so I went to the next door neighbor to ask her what I was doing wrong.  She could hardly stop laughing long enough to tell me I had to cook them first!

Mine wasn't something that I cooked, but something that I didn't cook!  My DH's grandmother was visiting us from the UK along with his family & aunts, uncles & I made a nice pot roast, gravy, veggie & dessert but forgot to cook any potatoes.  We ended up with instant ones.  YUCK!

Respected Contributor

in your defence. that has happened to people cooking a turkey for the first time many people have done that.

Honored Contributor

I never bothered to learn to cook.  I lived with my sister and she cooked and I cleaned.  I did the same thing with the turkey.  Only I'm so ding dong I did it at least  twice.  I cooked that neck thing (didn't know there were things at each end)  Ha!  I've also cooked the bag of stuff that's up his butt.

I was married for 38 years before I became a widow and stopped cooking.  I guess over time I finally learned to cook a turkey and my girls grew up (like most children) thinking I was a good cook.  Ha!  Now that they're adults with their own children, only #3 daughter is a good cook and LIKES to cook (she's working on a cookbook for camping out).  She just called me this week on what size bird to buy, how to make cream cheese brownies and other SIMPLE things.  Ha!  I'm also her medical Dr.  She calls me for all medical information.  Other than that she goes to her 7 year older sister....Ha!  She wised up!

Respected Contributor

All I can say is DON'T mistake chili powder for cinnamon when preparing the baked apples.  Well, at least it wasn't for guests.  lol