Trusted Contributor

Re: O/T What's your favorite (bought) candy? What do you just love?

My favorite candy bar is Snickers. For boxed candies, I love the Hershey's Pot of Gold All Nut assortment.

Esteemed Contributor

On 12/30/2014 Holly Jolly JingleBells said:
On 12/30/2014 sfnative said:

Though I have a couple of current favorites, my all-time favorite is a candy I can't get any longer (to my knowledge).

My Dad used to come home with a small bag of these mint taffies or chews as a treat once in a while. Each piece was slightly off-white, had muted brown stripes running vertically about 1/4" apart, was a bit larger than a regular piece of taffy and had a powdered covering that on further thought may have been a combo of corn starch and a bit of confectioner's sugar.

If anyone knows where I can get these wonderful "chews," I'd be very grateful!

If it's what I'm thinking of, we used to have those in England too, we called them Humbugs. They were typically beige with brown stripes, and flavored with peppermint. If you google search Humbugs they have lots of pictures and places that make them.

Hi Holly Jolly,

Thank you so very much for sharing the Humbug information. That really makes sense, since my Dad always purchased them at an upscale international market. Will definitely Google as suggested.

In the last year and a half, my diet has had to be altered to the extent that much of what I could enjoy in the past, I can no longer eat. I think that's what made me think of these: I can still enjoy them, if I can find them.

Thanks, again!

Esteemed Contributor

Several of See's offerings send me into fits of culinary bliss.

However, since moving to Portland, I have discovered that on major holidays Walgreens sells Russell Stover shaped marshmallow covered with dark chocolate. For Christmas, it was a marshmallow shaped Santa enrobed in dark chocolate. I cannot NOT buy 2,3 or 4 of these! I love marshmallow covered by dark chocolate, it would seem!

About 6 weeks ago, I had to pick up a prescription at Walgreens. Well, I couldn't leave without purchasing 4 of those Santas - on sale at 2 for $1.00. Since I am seriously addicted to these things, I had to eat one in the car. Then, since it was lunchtime and I was nowhere near home, I ate another. Bad, bad, bad - I know. PLUS - it then dawned on me that I was driving to my Internist's office for blood work. OMG! I got a note from her asking me if I could explain my elevated blood sugar. Talk about embarrassed!

Honored Contributor

I grew up on See's candy and still love it but my new love is Fran's. It is made in Seattle.

Respected Contributor

Black licorice.

My mother loves it and so do I. Is that an inherited trait?

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Super Contributor

On 12/31/2014 Lotus~ said:

Black licorice.

I love black licorice too! Yes...I think it is an inherited trait! My father loved it too. JK.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Esteemed Contributor

Teuscher's Champagne Truffles. $$$$ and gotta be 500 calories each, but a worthy splurge.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Occasional Contributor

Anyone tried the Lancaster caramel yet (It is fairly new), made by Hersey? It is fantastic!

Valued Contributor

Whenever I get to San Francisco I immediately head to Teuscher's for a champagne truffle. The best. A second favorite is Trader Joe's dark chocolate sea salt caramels
Super Contributor

On 12/31/2014 Lotus~ said:

Black licorice. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

My Mom loves it, but I can't stand it {#emotions_dlg.crying}

The same is true of celery. She = love, me = hate. I like garlic, she hates it. We do both love See's soft centers though {#emotions_dlg.tt1}