Honored Contributor

Re: O/T - Easy way to eat more Vegetables and Make them taste GOOD

On 10/22/2014 Ladybug724 said:

If you roast broccoli (and you should try it, it's the best) don't forget to cut up the stem and roast it too. It's the best part!

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Valued Contributor

Well my QVC Sisters, you are all a wealth of information. Now all I need is to get started. I went to Giant and got several bags of frozen and canned veg. I'm try roasting first, and I do like greens so I'm ready to start.

I opened a can of spinach today and ate some for lunch. thanks for all the tips and ideas.

Honored Contributor

I like my veggies raw with dressing.

Respected Contributor

Mix them with things you like, including pasta and tomato sauce (cauliflower, onions, and red, green, and yellow peppers go great sauteed and put on top of spaghetti and sauce. Butternut squash and onions go great with lean ham. Spinach is nice mixed in with tuna salad. And, as already noted, roasted vegetables (potatoes, onions, butternut squash, etc.) are delicious, especially with roasted chicken.

Honored Contributor

On 10/22/2014 sunshine3215 said:

I'm not a "good" cook, when you ROAST Them....do you put anything on them first....I'm going to google but how do you roast them...

Okay...I know someone is laughing right now.

You can put anything on them you like--herbs, seasoned salts, pepper, balsamic vinegar, olive oil even parm sheese just before they are done--that is really yummy.

Honored Contributor

On 10/22/2014 mousiegirl said:

I roast all root veges, and toss the rest, after cooked, with extra virgin olive oil and crushed garlic, and red pepper flakes can be added for a kick.

So do I!! I love rutabagas, parsnips, turnips, brussel sprouts and cabbage all roasted up. So sweet and good. We put these over rice or pasta or on pizzas. Love roasted sweet spuds too.

Esteemed Contributor

Forrestwolf posted this recipe a while back and it is wonderful. I don't like green beans but I love these. I gave the recipe to my neighbor and she said she now uses the sesame oil on all her veggies and loves it.

Japanese-Style Sesame Green Beans

Ingredients

1 tablespoon canola oil
1 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil (I prefer toasted sesame oil)
1 pound fresh green beans, washed
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds

Directions

Warm a large skillet or wok over medium heat. When the skillet is hot, pour in canola and sesame oils, then place whole green beans into the skillet. Stir the beans to coat with oil. Cook until the beans are bright green and slightly browned in spots, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in soy sauce; cover, and let sit about 5 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter, and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.

I am going to used sesame to roast some veggies. Haven't yet! The taste of sesame is awesome!

Posted this on other thread by mistake. Works either place!

Regular Contributor

Some suggestions for roasting veggies

Asparagus tossed with evoo, salt and pepper. Take out of oven and squeeze some lemon juice then sprinkle with parm cheese. (I've also wrapped asparagus that's smeared with mascarpone and wrapped with prosciutto, roast then do the lemon and parm yummy!)

Potatoes are great with rosemary but the rosemary can scorch so I use rosemary infused oil to roast then generous s&p when they come out. Also, baby red potatoes cooked until tender in some water or broth. Put on a sheet pan and lightly smash, drizzle with evoo and cook in a high degree oven until crispy then sprinkle with s&p. I got that idea from watching Laura Calder on Cooking Channel

Cherry tomatoes tossed with garlic infused oil, s&p roast until they burst put on pasta with some fresh basil!

Sweet potatoes roasted with Walnut oil sprinkled with toasted pecans or hazelnuts when done.

We love broccoli and Brussels spouts roasted too!

I'm really getting into different infused oils as well as the walnut oil. They change up the taste of veggies!

ETA: Thin green beans roasted or sautéed with sesame oil with some onions also. Then toss with brown or basmati rice. You can add all kinds of other things with this such as water chestnuts, bean sprouts, baby corn. Roast some red peppers too with the beans and onions. Easy vegetarian dish or add chicken, pork, beef or shrimp!