Honored Contributor

O/T: Does anyone know of a weekly TV guide magazine available in large print?

Does anyone offer a weekly magazine of local channels, preferably in large print?

It seems that TV Guide no longer offers this, and their regular print magazine has only prime time listings.

If anyone knows, I'd appreciate the information.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: O/T: Does anyone know of a weekly TV guide magazine available in large print?

I could have sworn that I saw this in the past but I just Googled it and couldn't find anything. Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

Re: O/T: Does anyone know of a weekly TV guide magazine available in large print?

TV Guide is largely useless anymore. They only cover a few channels and only in prime time. I'm using a TV Guide type app on my phone/tablet these days that's much better than anything TV Guide offers. I can tweak it to show just the channels I get and it shows everything on TV 24 hours a day. It's not especially large print, but it's comprehensive. You can even hop ahead a few days and see what's coming up. If they have a tablet/smartphone it might be the best option.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

TVguide.com is great. Just plug in where you live and it will show you all channels for your area for the entire day. You can make the print as large as you wish.

Honored Contributor

Your state has an agency funded to serve the blind. Check the government pages of your phone book and give them a call. They have some amazing services for the visually impaired.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

On 1/5/2015 Kachina624 said: Your state has an agency funded to serve the blind. Check the government pages of your phone book and give them a call. They have some amazing services for the visually impaired.

Thank you. I'll look into it. My dad is computer savvy at 91, but he's nearly blind from macular degeneration. Mom has dementia, so she can't help out. He wants a t.v. guide like he used to get in the "old days", but it's not that simple.

~ house cat ~
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Kudos to your Dad! Computer savvy at 91. I started in 1973 programs, punch cards and compilers and thought that was unusual.

Honored Contributor

On 1/5/2015 Zhills said:

Kudos to your Dad! Computer savvy at 91. I started in 1973 programs, punch cards and compilers and thought that was unusual.

He's quite a guy. His body is falling to pieces, but his mind is sharp as a tack. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Last month they were having problems with their cable connection. He wound up spending two nights without t.v. For them, that's a huge problem, since they have no other entertainment. He called to say not to worry about him, he found Mom's soap opera on line and they were watching it.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

On 1/5/2015 house_cat said:
On 1/5/2015 Kachina624 said: Your state has an agency funded to serve the blind. Check the government pages of your phone book and give them a call. They have some amazing services for the visually impaired.

Thank you. I'll look into it. My dad is computer savvy at 91, but he's nearly blind from macular degeneration. Mom has dementia, so she can't help out. He wants a t.v. guide like he used to get in the "old days", but it's not that simple.

My parents were both legally blind with macular degeneration. Dad had a reading machine which was a magnifier which projected text onto a special 32" TV screen. He was able to read directions and write checks using this thing but it would drive you nuts trying to read a book or newspaper. He could have read something like a TV schedule. Our Commission for the Blind has many audio books and machines that can be borrowed for free. Neither of my parents, especially mom, could see the TV much. They said it was so dark.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

On 1/5/2015 house_cat said:

I do not know what kind of computer monitor your father is using. This is an article about displays. http://www.filterjoe.com/2011/02/26/the-best-monitor-setup-to-reduce-eye-fatigue-and-distraction/

I buy Dell Ultra Sharp 24" IPS 1920 X1200 displays. I need a video card of at least 1GB to run the display.

This is online TV listing.
http://www.zap2it.com/

I do hope you find a solution that works for your dad. I went to a little computer workshop last week. This room had 27" iMacs. The display was beautiful.

I can adjust the font size in windows, and the font size in a browser. The text is still sharp enough to view easily.