Valued Contributor

I have a couple of opened nuts left over from the holidays. And I also have some unopened. Can I freeze them.? Thanks.

Trusted Contributor

@hovis, yes, I believe you can.  A site that I like to check on food products is StillTasty.

(IHTH) 

Honored Contributor

I often purchase nuts in bulk and freeze them.   I vacuum seal them in smaller lots and in the freezer they go.  That way, they will stay pristine for years.

I've also frozen nuts in Lock & Lock containers.  Since they are a 'dry good', they don't get freezer burn or that icy stuff on them.

I eat almonds every day so when I take a packet of vacuum sealed ones from the freezer, I put them in a Lock & Lock and keep them in the refrigerator.  

My kitchen stays pretty cool, especially in winter, so it's not really necessary to even put them in the refrigerator.  Just make sure you're not storing them in a warm place.

Honored Contributor

I only buy Sam's Club pecans and freeze them in the bag they came in

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I often purchase nuts in bulk and freeze them.   I vacuum seal them in smaller lots and in the freezer they go.  That way, they will stay pristine for years.

I've also frozen nuts in Lock & Lock containers.  Since they are a 'dry good', they don't get freezer burn or that icy stuff on them.

I eat almonds every day so when I take a packet of vacuum sealed ones from the freezer, I put them in a Lock & Lock and keep them in the refrigerator.  

My kitchen stays pretty cool, especially in winter, so it's not really necessary to even put them in the refrigerator.  Just make sure you're not storing them in a warm place.

And if you run out of milk,  you can whirl up some almond milk from those nuts in your Vitamix. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Kachina624 wrote:

chickenbutt wrote:

And if you run out of milk,  you can whirl up some almond milk from those nuts in your Vitamix. 

Very cool!  I didn't know that.  I don't like milk, so I virtually never have it on hand.  But every now and then I have a recipe that requires a small amount .  The bummer is that I have to buy more than I need because I end up throwing most of it out (no way I could gag it down!), and I hate waste.

Do you just add a little water to them?

I do find that if a recipe only needs a very small amount of milk I can just use water and you'd never know the difference.   I've done that with numerous things.  But I love learning something new!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt  I don't care for fresh milk but love almond milk.   You can freeze left-over fresh milk and use for cooking.   You can also buy quarts of shelf fresh (unrefrigerated) almond milk which tastes exactly like fresh.   Must refrigerate after opening.   I also occasionally use evaporated milk for some things. 

https://www.vitamix.com/Recipes/Almond-or-Cashew-Milk/C-Series/Variable-Speed/Classic-64-Ounce

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I don't freeze them in cans, but I often freeze packages from Sams also.  I have them left from Christmas baking.

Make sure you press the air out.

Honored Contributor

Of course you can. At my house most nuts are automatically stored in the freezer. The only exception being cashews since we eat those so quickly. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval