Respected Contributor

Now know the value of an induction burner.

[ Edited ]

I've been without my gas cooktop for three weeks now, due to it leaking gas.  Had gas company guy locate the leak source (between two burners).  He turned off the cooktop's gas supply and told me to call General Electric for a repair.

Weeks later, still waiting.  Have been stood up for an appointment once.  Hung up on twice.  Still get the same old story--- repair department is waiting on a CO meter or something like that needed to do the repair. 

Will never buy or own an GE Profile gas cooktop  again.  Had no choice with this one, it came with the new house 5 years ago.  Really miss the electric glass cooktop that looked great and was working great for two decades  in my former home,

Meanwhile, I have learned the value of the two portable induction burners that I never used much before.  Also the value of having induction-capable pots and pans.

Not all meals can be cooked in the microwave or oven.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Now know the value of an induction burner.

Yes, I have one that I have  used in the past  as an extra burner to cook for family gatherings  or to use out on my patio

Honored Contributor

I know what you mean about glass stove tops. I love mine and I wouldn't have anything else. Maybe an induction type but as you said, those need induction-type cookware. 

As for gas leaks, I'm always concerned about those. Just recently I had a new gas hot water tank replaced and that got me thinking about the 'what-ifs' regarding safety. They never tell you about the hazards of natural gas leaks inside a home. They tell about smoke and CO alarms but never a gas-leak alarm. I took it upon myself and found a gas-leak detector/alarm and put in my house myself. Now I've got peace of mind with that part of my safety.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee

If you have a gas leak, you will know because something is added to colorless,  odorless natural gas to make it smell perfectly awful and be real obvious.

This stove leak was obvious  to me because the smell  managed to permeate the under-counter utensil drawer and cabinet next to the cooktop.

Respected Contributor

@skatting44 

@SilleeMee 

This is my first gas cooktop and I hated it from the beginning.  Flames are so far below the grate and  pan that even getting water to boil can take forever.  It's also a real pain to clean and needs cleaning constantly.

'

I've asked several experts if it could be removed and replaced with an electric cooktop but have been told it won't be possible.  I still can't  fully understand why, however.

Now that I'm getting used to my induction burners, I think I'll probably use them much more even if the stove gets fixed.

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 

My sniffer is not that great. I can't smell a lot of things. I'm sure I'm not the only one. I'm also terrified of having an explosion b/c of a gas leak. I see them on the news more than I want.

Honored Contributor

IF YOU HAVE GAS IN YOUR HOME, HAVE CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTORS AND REPLACE THEM AS NEEDED

IT IS ODORLESS AND COLORLESS AND YOU WON'T KNOW IT IS THERE.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner 

I have three different kinds of alarms in my house. Smoke, carbon monoxide and natural gas. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

We have all necessary detectors, too, with batteries changed every year by calling  our friendly folks from the fire department.   They're wired to go off on both floors of the house even if only one detects the bad stuff.

Also have a super-sensitive carbon monoxide detector that our HVAC guy installed on the wall outside the master bedroom on the main floor.  He sold me on that, saying the ceiling detectors might be too high to detect levels lower down until too late, especially if we're sleeping.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I only have 2 eyes.  The other part of my stove is a grill which now houses my Ninja Foodi I got to cut down on the smoke coming from the grill.  I do occasionally use the grill for hot dogs or quesadillas.  I have a Wolfgang Puck stand-alone eye I sometimes use as an extra eye.  It's not induction, more like a glass-top surface, but at least it works with all my cookware, most of which is not induction-ready.

Also, bought my husband a butane-powered burner for his boat.  Uses small butane tanks.  He loves it since the docks don't provide a lot of power.  You'll see those used a lot on the cooking segments on the shopping channels.