Honored Contributor

For those of you who have done their homework? I am totally confused having looked at tons of them. I would just like to find a skillet that has been thru all the tests. Not anodized, considering ceramic, and of course not teflon. I thought that was banned. If you know a good, safe brand could you let me know. Don't post a retail site, just a name or it will be deleted. Thnx

Respected Contributor

Learn to cook on Allclad Stainless Steel.  I have done scrambled eggs, just use low heat and add butter to pan. Don't overcook and sticking in minimal. 

Respected Contributor

Curious about this myself, as some of my older non-stick pans, (some Cook's essentials from years ago), could stand to be replaced.

I am not too educated on the latest. I have heard here and there about using "green pans" (one of the celeb chefs, maybe Curtis Stone?, sells on HSN) or ceramic. I follow Bobby Parrish, "Flav City" on FB, (or Instagram or YouTube)...and he recommends ceramic, and is developing his own line coming out soon.

Valued Contributor

@Judaline i can recommend the Jade Stone ceramic skillet item 740-797 at HSN.  Eggs and pancakes will not stick. 

Respected Contributor

@Judaline - Cuisinart, Anolon, and All-Clad make stainless steel cookware.  Just make sure that the inside surfaces are shiny stainless steel to avoid the non-stick varieties that have the Teflon and other surface agents.  I just looked up stainless steel cookware and found many different sets that would work for you-- and they are all on sale today, and likely tomorrow -- Cyber Monday.

Since switching to stainless steel pots and pans, which I did well over a decade ago, I have found that heating up the pan prior to putting in the butter and eggs works really well to keep the eggs from sticking as much to the pan. Hope this helps you in your search.  

I have some Cuisinart and also some older Technique- Ti brand pots and pans that QVC used to sell many years ago.  They have all held up very well. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Non-toxic cookware

[ Edited ]

@Judaline I use stainless steel, enamel cast iron, and cast iron exclusively.  My dear Significant Other of eighteen years, who also loved to cook, loved the non-stick frying pans.

I won't use them.  Gave up on them forty years ago.  I also will not use all-aluminum pans.  I had cheap ones I used in college in the '70s when I was first learning to cook.  Aluminum encased in stainless steel is fine, since food is not exposed to it andd it does help to conduct heat more efficiently.  

There is a learning curve using the types I use, and I have no trouble with any of them and I don't have to worry about peeling, chemically treated, "mystery" surfaces.  And I don't have to replace skillets like the "non stick" ones every two to three years, even when "babied".   

Cooking on screaming high heat will guarantee sticking and can warp your pan if you shock it by trying to wash it while still too hot.  

You seldom get good results cooking in that fashion and are guaranteeing sticking to the pan of anything you are cooking.  

Going too fast and the use of too high heat, and crowding a pan, equals poor results, uneven cooking, and the dreaded sticking.  You seldom need to go above medium to medium high.

If you want to flip something like a steak or chicken breast and it resists it means it is not yet ready to be turned.  Patience and good cooking and cleaning techniques result in producing excellent food, along with using the best quality cooking equipment and ingredients you can afford to buy.

For stainless steel I have All-Clad, Cuisinart, Farberware, David Burke, and even one Ikea.  I also have a stainless steel Demeyere 4 cup egg poacher with a  glass lid (which is from their specialties 3 line and is made in Indonesia--not Belgium).

Thee only drawback for the David Burke brand is that the metal handles on the side(s) and covers get VERY hot on the stove top so I use insulated handle covers for these or very good, insulated pot holders or oven gloves/mitts. 

I have one LeCreuset enameled cast iron open 10 inch skillet with a helper handle, and a LeCreuset 3 &1/2 quart LeCreuset Dutch oven.  

I also learned from cooks and chefs who earn their living in restaurants and catering that they do NOT use an automatic dishwasher and instead wash their cooking vessels by hand whether at home or at work.

Hope some of these ideas will help you make the right decision for you.

Hope you find some great deals and remember to do price comparisons before purchasing--the variations for the same models from different purveyors is astounding.

And if you use one of the cashback programs, like Rakuten, you can save even more.

Happy shopping!

aroc3435

Washington, DC 

Honored Contributor

@Judaline  I found the best cookware that is 18/10 stainless steel - beautiful cookware and not at all pricey, brand is Avacraft on amazon. I have 2 sauce pans lids included, clear to see into with steam hole, measurements inside both.

One of the best features is they pour from both sides which makes these LEFTY and righty friendly, mamzing as I am a lefty. No cating of any kind needless to say, these are THE BEST pots/sauce pans I have EVER owned and I've had more than my share of pots, pans, skillets, cookware.

My fry panes are white ceramic Green Pans also nice from amazon. When I need more or choose to trade these out I WILL buy more Avacraft 18/10. WELL worth your money, again not at all pricey.

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@Judaline I use stainless steel, enamel cast iron, and cast iron exclusively.  My dear Significant Other of eighteen years, who also loved to cook, loved the non-stick frying pans.

I won't use them.  Gave up on them forty years ago.  I also will not use all-aluminum pans.  I had cheap ones I used in college in the '70s when I was first learning to cook.  Aluminum encased in stainless steel is fine, since food is not exposed to it andd it does help to conduct heat more efficiently.  

There is a learning curve using the types I use, and I have no trouble with any of them and I don't have to worry about peeling, chemically treated, "mystery" surfaces.  And I don't have to replace skillets like the "non stick" ones every two to three years, even when "babied".   

Cooking on screaming high heat will guarantee sticking and can warp your pan if you shock it by trying to wash it while still too hot.  

You seldom get good results cooking in that fashion and are guaranteeing sticking to the pan of anything you are cooking.  

Going too fast and the use of too high heat, and crowding a pan, equals poor results, uneven cooking, and the dreaded sticking.  You seldom need to go above medium to medium high.

If you want to flip something like a steak or chicken breast and it resists it means it is not yet ready to be turned.  Patience and good cooking and cleaning techniques result in producing excellent food, along with using the best quality cooking equipment and ingredients you can afford to buy.

For stainless steel I have All-Clad, Cuisinart, Farberware, David Burke, and even one Ikea.  I also have a stainless steel Demeyere 4 cup egg poacher with a  glass lid (which is from their specialties 3 line and is made in Indonesia--not Belgium).

Thee only drawback for the David Burke brand is that the metal handles on the side(s) and covers get VERY hot on the stove top so I use insulated handle covers for these or very good, insulated pot holders or oven gloves/mitts. 

I have one LeCreuset enameled cast iron open 10 inch skillet with a helper handle, and a LeCreuset 3 &1/2 quart LeCreuset Dutch oven.  

I also learned from cooks and chefs who earn their living in restaurants and catering that they do NOT use an automatic dishwasher and instead wash their cooking vessels by hand whether at home or at work.

Hope some of these ideas will help you make the right decision for you.

Hope you find some great deals and remember to do price comparisons before purchasing--the variations for the same models from different purveyors is astounding.

And if you use one of the cashback programs, like Rakuten, you can save even more.

Happy shopping!

aroc3435

Washington, DC 

You are a world of information and I thank you!! You've pretty much got it covered~

Honored Contributor

@amyb   In past months hsn really talked up a set of 2 fry pans by Curtis Stone. They looked great, I bought a set of red, lids were included, silicon handles on pans and lids.

My problem was with the lids, the half inch wide silicon wrapped around the edges. Washing/cleaning was a hassle with greasy food splatters because lids were hard to really clean and the silicon collected/held water. This to me may also mean I wasn't really able to clean them well.  I returned them.

I use 18/10 stainless, would never go back to anyting else. I do have a couple of skillets with ceramic inside. I like those also.

Respected Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD Good to know on all, thank you!

I have a mishmash of all types of pans, some sets, mostly my mom when she was alive, and a QVC shopper, kept buying for me...so when I cleaned out her home, there were many, brand new...Cooks Essentials, Hard-Annodized...many of them very nice. So I'm using them still. Still like new.

Others I had taken from her years before, could stand an update.

But have always been curious about investing in good Stainless Steel (only have a few old Farberware, when it comes to stainless...I realize they are on the cheap side of things...but have a nostalgia feel for me too, and at one point it's all I wanted)... but have thought AllClad (or however you spell it) was probably worth the investment, and a whole other animal.

That and a cast iron pan, I also don't have.

Thanks for recommendation of Stainless and a few ceramic for non-stick. 

Someday...I need to take inventory and figure out what I actually need and can update.