Honored Contributor

Re: No My Grandma's Coffee cakes in tins this year?

Grandma's memory may not be great but it's good to know she didn't forget about the tins.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

In about 15 minutes you can make this in an aluminum pan and gift it!

Exceptionally moist!!!

Maple-Pecan Coffee Cake
Yield: 6 servings.
CRUMBLE
½ cup dark brown sugar
¼ cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup pecans, chopped
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

COFFEE CAKE
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup light brown sugar
½ cup pecans, chopped
½ cup pure maple syrup
½ cup vegetable oil
¼ cup whole milk
2 large eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon maple extract (can be found
at specialty
kitchen stores)
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
8 ounces sour cream, at room temperature
ICING
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons maple syrup
For the crumble: In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, pecans, cinnamon, and salt. Mix well using a fork. Use fork to stir while you pour in melted butter until a crumb-like texture forms. Break up any large crumbs with fork.
For the coffee cake: Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare an 8-inch square pan with nonstick cooking spray. In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, brown sugar, and pecans. In a small bowl, stir together the maple syrup, vegetable oil, milk, eggs, and extracts. Stir the sour cream into the wet ingredients until combined.
Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, then pour in the wet ingredients. Gently stir until just combined. Do not overmix. Spoon half of the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with half of the crumble. Spread the remaining batter over the crumble. Sprinkle with the remaining crumble.
Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes.
For the icing: In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar and maple syrup until a thick, pourable icing forms. Drizzle icing over warm cake. Cut into squares and serve. Store leftovers, covered, at room temperature for up to 4 days.
Published in the December 2021 issue of Our State
ORIGINAL RECIPE BY LYNN WELLS / PHOTOGRAPHY BY MATT HULSMAN

Esteemed Contributor

I bought them for years from the military commissary, usually Thanksgiving through Christmas. This year they haven't had them among other things!
                  😕 🙁☹️

Regular Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

All the candies I used to get in tins now come in cardboard boxes.  Cardboard is much cheaper than metal and we're now into the cheapening of America.   It's apparent everywhere. 

@Kachina624 Not the cheapening.  The inflation/price exploding of America.  I've never seen anything like it.  And I'm old!  

Honored Contributor

@SoonerLater   Everything has gotten smaller, thinner, lighter weight, skimpier, in addition to being more expensive.  I'm waiting for a gallon of gas to become 64 ounces instead of 128.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Regular Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@SoonerLater   Everything has gotten smaller, thinner, lighter weight, skimpier, in addition to being more expensive.  I'm waiting for a gallon of gas to become 64 ounces instead of 128.

@Kachina624 Everything is smaller, thinner, lighter in weight -- except ME!  Woman Frustrated

Any advice about flavors of the grandma's cakes?  And do they all have sugar strusel?  

Honored Contributor

@SoonerLater    I've never eaten one of those cakes.  I don't think they seel them around here.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment