Regular Contributor

Re: Ninja Foodie observation

Anyone interested in a cover for the Foodie check Amazon.  I purchased 2 from Penny's Needful things and they are nicely made, ship quickly and only $31.00.  I purchased a blue one with red and white stars on top and then a black one with black and white on top for my niece to use on her air fryer. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Think I'll take a break from posting for awhile

Gees........

@aroc3435 

yeah, I had to go ahead and order from Morris Farms, also.

Sam's Club never did get them in yet ! When I want something I want it

now not when these places decide to do us all a favor.

Morris sends out first wk of May I waited till mid June on sam's and said to self if you wait much longer on the genuine article they will be gone, so, I ordered 20 lb. of mediums.

Respected Contributor

You seem to be the forum’s Ninja Foodi proponent, so I hope you do not mind my aiming questions directly toward you (although I’d welcome opinions from everyone).  Sam’s Club is going to have a $50 off sale soon, so I am seriously considering purchasing one, but there are considerations.  For one, it’s a large, bulky thing and secondly, reading this thread has brought to mind questions I would not have thought to ask.  

You mentioned baking banana bread in the Foodi pan.  Is a new set of bakeware necessary?   I am not looking to either replace what I have or find storage space for more.   

I also read that you store the second lid atop the unit.  Can you tell me, please, what the combined height is?  I’m wondering if the stacked lids will prevent me from sliding the whole thing to the back of the countertop, beneath a wall mounted cabinet.  Again, storing a second lid somewhere else could be a nuisance, and housing the whole unit in a cabinet/closet is out of the question.

How large is the learning curve for using a pressure cooker?  I’ve never used one in my life.  

I am a widow now, which has vastly altered my food shopping and cooking habits.  In your experience, would a Foodi be useful for cooking for just one person, or would it be overkill?  Learning to live alone brings new challenges every day, and I am trying to decide whether a Foodi would help in that regard.   Instead of winnowing down, or simplifying my life, I’m concerned this would be just another acquisition I’ll regret later.  

@All, a sincere thank you for any light you can shine into my darkness. Smiley Happy   –Mrs. G.
Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG   As a widow also, I cook for myself every day.  I can't speak to the Foodi as I feel this isn't something for me.  However, I do use my air fryer several times a week.  Cooking is fast and clean-up is so easy.  Doesn't add heat to the kitchen either.   Cooking for one is an adjustment.  I like to cook and do all my cooking.  Seldom have opportunity to eat out any more.  I am so surprised that so many people I know go to get take-out instead of cooking.  Planning my meals and making them is just part of my routine to keep busy.  Always have enjoyed cooking.   If you decide on the Ninja Foodie I hope you enjoy it and that it makes your cooking easier and a pleasure.

Respected Contributor

Thank you, @Daysdee, for your response to my questions.  I am curious as to why you feel the Foodi isn't for you -- is it because you already have the air fryer?  I'm wondering if I'd be better off with just that single element.  As I said earlier, I've never used a pressure cooker.  

I like your point that the air fryer doesn't heat up the kitchen.  Thinking of heating the oven/kitchen--and the time to do it--just to make one serving of something, French fries for example, has caused me to reach for something else instead.

My husband thoroughly enjoyed good food, and I always enjoyed trying new recipes.  We would critique new dishes, he'd make good suggestions and observations (he had a more sensitive palate), and I would notate the recipes for the next time, wine pairings included.  Dinner was one of our favorite times of the day.  It's not as fun as it used to be.  

One thing I have noticed in my changed cooking habits is that, instead of full-size dinner plates, the dishwasher gets filled with saucers, salad plates and cereal bowls.  That may change as the weather cools down and hot meals become appetizing again.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

Product Dimensions 14.2 x 16.8 x 13.1 inches

Item Weight25.8 pounds
Shipping Weight30.9 pounds

If you pressure cook meats, good thing to have.

I bake roast in it first then pressure cook all in same spot and pot.

Air fry salmon, fries, fried potatoes, frozen stuff U buy at store.

Bake a chicken in it then change the control to air crisp and brown it

all in same pot, Butter the crust or spray oil on it and air crisp it to give it

that brown coloring.

I'd measure where you want to put it, then see if the measurements you have and the ones I posted are comparable

I just keep mine out here is a pic

DSCN0806.JPG

Honored Contributor

You can use your own bakeware in it as long as it fits.

Remember it's like a regular oven. Materials you use in your regular oven you can put in loaf pan and put down in the pot and bake in the Foodi

I'll test some of my loaf pans and see what it will accomdate I got the 6.5 one. I imagine the great big Foodi will take a big loaf pan, but, you and me don't need the giant Foodi. 2 people in family

Honored Contributor

Just curious , bear with me, if you have never used a pressure cooker before in your life how have you prepared roasts, briskets,  steaks, tough cuts of meat ?

Not being smart or snarky can't imagine eating tough meat that hasn't been pressured cooked. Some people have said they slow cook it, that's fine if you want to take better part of a day or overnight.

Have you an instant pot ?  That might be better for you, It's a pressure cooker just can't air crisp in it.

My best advice is to watch the videos here on QVC go over to HSn watch theirs, Amazon, etc. U tube, too. 

I made a place in my dining room moved out the Royal Albert tea pot and sugar and creamer put on hutch and put the red foodi on the tea cart

LOL I don't have to move it up and down the kitchen counter any more.

You might buy a small table and find a corner and put in in the corner too

Honored Contributor

none of my bread loaf pans will fit in there, this corelle pan is 9x7 with handles and it will fit in the pot in the Foodi.

DSCN0807.JPG

I'm picky about my bread , so, I'll still do it in my USA pans in the oven.

The pan above would be good for baked beans, mac and cheese stuff like that.

Probably would have to buy their loaf pan for banana bread.

I saw a girl make banana bread in hers mixed it in the pot and just made a round bread, she mixed it and let it rise all in the Foodi Pot. took it out in round shape out of the pot and sliced it. She didn't fool with a loaf pan at all. LOL   this was on youtube.

I think you have to order the accessory pieces like the loaf pan and the round cake pan for biscuits and rolls online. I haven't seen them here on QVC. Don't know if Sam's carries them as a separate purchase or not.

QVC sends you the racks that fit in the Foodi and that's what I use to put biscuits and rolls on. The machines at Sam's and Kohl's doesn't give you the racks. Check the box to make sure, at Sam's, but, the one I bought at Kohl's never had the racks in the box. Since I have 2 Foodi's now the ones I got from QVC I can use in both of them.

Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG I agree that dinner times sure are not what they once were.  I have never used a pressure cooker.  My Mom had the old-fashioned kind years ago and made delicious food in it.  With all the kitchen gadgets/appliances I have, I have never bought/used a pressure cooker.  I know they infuse the flavors, but just not into trying one.  I did order one from QVC a few years ago and the instructions made it sound difficult so I returned it without trying it.   I make my pot roasts in one of my two slow cookers.  I don't care how long they take as  I am home most of the time.   The Ninja Foodie seems too large and heavy for the amount of space I have.  Don't have a big kitchen or a lot of counter space and I already have my Keurig, KA stand mixer, toaster and air fryer out plus some small items.  It is nice that the Foodie has so many functions.  Just feel it isn't something I would need at this time.