Respected Contributor

I was looking at a recipe for naan and it calls for nigella seeds. Pardon my ignorance, but I've never heard of these before. For those who are familiar with these, could you describe the taste? (I might order these-unless they taste like anise or caraway which are not favorite flavors at all!)

Thanks,

Poodlepet

Honored Contributor

they are a black caraway seed......i usually buy them in middle eastern stores. if you dont like caraway or fennel then you probably wont like them.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Frequent Contributor

I bought a 4 oz bag about 10 years ago, I think from Penzeys. Didn't care for them. They do have a somewhat anise like taste, although they are called black caraway or black sesame seeds they are neither.

They sat in my pantry for years and eventually became rancid and were disposed of...hope they never grow from the compost.

Camo

Respected Contributor

This is funny-I had no clue what they might taste like-I won't be ordering any!

Thanks,

Poodlepet

Honored Contributor

i use them to make a spread........a good quality feta cheese (french or bulgarian usually), onion, nigella seeds, and walnuts. everything gets ground up and mixed fine. add the nigella seeds last and dont crush them too much. i usually use my ninja. it is a fast easy spread that should be the consistency of cream cheese when done. i serve it with pita chips or pita bread.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein