Frequent Contributor

New induction cooktop question--concerned about scratching

Hello, we just installed a new Viking 6 burner induction cooktop.  The sales person mentioned she used a silicon mat to keep her pots from scratching the glass.  I have some standard baking sheets.  I have read that other times newspaper is used between the pot/cooktop.  I don't plan to slide the pans around but there is some natural movement when cooking.  Thought I would ask this forum for their experience. 

I am amazed at the speed of the cooking and love the clean surface.  Still learning after having a gas range for ages.  

Honored Contributor

Re: New induction cooktop question--concerned about scratching

should be in any information you received with it or a toll free #

I wouldn't want a stove I 'd have to baby. I got a glass top and I scoot stuff around on it.

Information might be found online also at their website under FAQ

Respected Contributor

Interesting about silicone mat. I just got my induction and salesman told me I could put parchment or paper towel under my cast iron.
Respected Contributor

Well, I've had my induction cooktop (GE brand, five burner) for over ten years and I have maybe two small scratches...likely only noticeable to me when I clean the top and try to get it really spotless. And yes, I've always made an effort not to move my pans around too much and risk scratching. Ironically, since it's today's TSV, the pans that seem to be the worst for scratching are my Le Creuset pans. Also, I am the only one who really uses the cooktop so I've got total control over it. It might be a hot mess by now if hubby used it but he does not cook. Ha!      

Esteemed Contributor

A stovetop should work for you not against you.  I just can't deal with flat ones.  I am fine with cleaning a gas one.  I had a pretty one and it drove me crazy.

Contributor

Have had my induction glass cooktop for 3 years and haven't a scratch on it and trust me, I do not baby it. I don't actively slide pans around on it, but if I happen to, it hasn't caused a scratch...I keep it very clean and shiny but that's the OCD coming out.  I do use my cast iron skillet on the glass top but I am reluctant to try my older cast iron dutch oven. I have read where folks have said the weight of it plus the contents cooking in it, were enough to crack their glass cooktop....just relaying the info...

Frequent Contributor

Thanks all for the feedback.  We have waited for years to rennovate and we gutted the kitchen:  moved a wall, new cabinets, new counters, new floors, new lighting and all new appliances.  As you can imagine, I am in the babying phase of everything new!  Glad to know the folks that have had these induction cooktops have lasted well.  

Respected Contributor

I’m new to induction and scared I will do things wrong to my new appliances. I gave a question:
Do you leave your pots on burner after you turn off?
Do you ever put your hot pot on another burner that’s off? Guess I am concerned about “shock “ due to heat.
Frequent Contributor

Hi Twins Mom:

I am also new to induction cooking--but, I did leave the pot on the burner after I turned it off.  The heat does not come from the burner, it is from the pot.  I don't think that there is a risk of "shock" given it is tempered glass.  I liked to be able to turn off a burner when I was cooking with gas and think the same will be true with the induction.  Have you liked your cooking experience so far?  I am dazzled at the speed. 

Honored Contributor

OK, if the pot doesn't get hot enough to ignite paper, how does it cook the food?  I'm lost here.