Respected Contributor

Re: New induction cooktop question--concerned about scratching

@ depglass
I am not sure why one can have paper with no repercussions except that I am told it’s between pan and stove via magnetic transfer.

Yes, with a week under my belt I am very surprised with speed. Easy to wipe.
I had a Jenn Aire tempered glass with black solid burners that I was very happy with. I thought my older cookware would work but sadly not case. Am upgrading that too.
Frequent Contributor

An induction cooktop is not the same as an electronic flat top glass cooktop.

For induction, it works on a magnetic principle and you heat the pot but the source of heat is not the cooktop.  I know, sounds crazy.  You need to have cookware that reacts to a magnet--so my All Clad and Le Crueset work with my cooktop but all may not.  

Valued Contributor

I have a Jenn Air induction cook top. We have had it for almost 5 years...no scratches. Not sure about using a silicon mat. I love it! 

Trusted Contributor

@Still Raining 

I can not have a gas stove, and chose a glass top.... like I have had, and like it....Induction is nice, as yes, you can put paper or cloth under the cook pot and still cook without messing up the cooktop, or scratching it....Understand the concept....I just can not afford it, as just did a kitchen redo, and that was not an option at the time...

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

depglass:

You need a pot with a magnetic bottom and can test it with a magnet to be sure the magnet can stick to the bottom of the pot.

Induction cooktops all need to work with stainless steel pans, or pans that a magnet can cling to and properly hold on to.

It is metal that attracts the induction cycle to work, if the pot cannot hold on to a magnet it will not work on an induction cook top pf any kind..