Trusted Contributor

I have never used one before. Any suggestions or tips I should know??

TIA

Boop

Respected Contributor

Read the manual and google cooking times for different meats and veggies.

Honored Contributor

I got my first convection oven a year or two ago and it's so great! I basically use it for the same things that I would previously use my big oven for - well, the stuff that's 13x9" or smaller.

One thing that I find, for me anyway (I have the Calphalon XL Digital Convection Oven) is that I can use a temp slightly lower and for slightly less time. It's easy to figure out what works for you and I imagine every convection oven might be different.

I chose the Calphalon because I read too many problems about the other main brand getting way too hot on the outside and just not heating as evenly. The spot I had planned was in the corner of one of my counters UNDER some cabinets so I wanted to make sure that it was built well and not cause damage.

But it's basically just like baking in an oven only a little more efficient. I don't know if yours is a countertop convection oven, or a full-size oven convection oven. I imagine a full-size one works even MORE efficiently so I'd watch things to see if the temp seems too high or it needs to come out sooner. Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

I've read that you need to drop temp by 25 degrees. I do that in my Breville and it works great. This is my only experience with convection.

Trusted Contributor

Things will cook differently in a convection oven or on a convection setting, than they will in a regular oven.

You will hear a fan turn on, and it speeds up the baking time. I have a toaster oven that also cooks on a convection setting, and it cooks one-third faster at that setting.

You have to just watch the cooking time for your baked items or your meats, etc. to see how they are doing when you are cooking at the convection setting.

Frequent Contributor

I bought a regular convection oven a few years ago when I needed a new oven. I used to have 2 ovens and did not have room for them in my new home. I bought the convection oven because I heard it baked better and, because it circulated the air, I could put several items in the oven when having company and they would cook well. I hate it. I don't know if it never worked correctly, but everything seems to burn on the top. I hardly ever use it anymore. I hear how wonderful they are, and I cook a lot, so I just don't understand why mine is awful. Maybe it's just me.

Trusted Contributor
On 1/12/2015 ceh said:

I bought a regular convection oven a few years ago when I needed a new oven. I used to have 2 ovens and did not have room for them in my new home. I bought the convection oven because I heard it baked better and, because it circulated the air, I could put several items in the oven when having company and they would cook well. I hate it. I don't know if it never worked correctly, but everything seems to burn on the top. I hardly ever use it anymore. I hear how wonderful they are, and I cook a lot, so I just don't understand why mine is awful. Maybe it's just me.

I understand you lower the temp and cook less time. Mine will be delivered Wednesday. Will see what happens.

Boop

Esteemed Contributor

Almost ten years ago I bought a high end Bosch duel fuel range (gas and convection/electric oven). I am really pleased with the stove. I couldn't believe how much better my meat tasted. You need to read your oven manual. It cooks about 30 percent faster and air circulates by fan rather than having an element that heats until it reaches a temperature and reheats again and again. I also bought a convection cookbook (I think the author was Linda Stephens).

One thing recommended is to make sure your meat is on a rack placed above the bottom of the roast pan so air and heat and circulate freely around the meat. It took a while but I found a couple of good racks and my meat is wonderful. I kept a roasting chart of my own on roasting times for different types and cuts and weights of meat. I refer back to it frequently and it is a good guide for how my oven works.

This stove was also my first experience with a gas stove top and I will never go back now. Yes, I love my stove. Enjoy your new appliances! LM

Trusted Contributor
On 1/12/2015 Lilysmom said:

Almost ten years ago I bought a high end Bosch duel fuel range (gas and convection/electric oven). I am really pleased with the stove. I couldn't believe how much better my meat tasted. You need to read your oven manual. It cooks about 30 percent faster and air circulates by fan rather than having an element that heats until it reaches a temperature and reheats again and again. I also bought a convection cookbook (I think the author was Linda Stephens).

One thing recommended is to make sure your meat is on a rack placed above the bottom of the roast pan so air and heat and circulate freely around the meat. It took a while but I found a couple of good racks and my meat is wonderful. I kept a roasting chart of my own on roasting times for different types and cuts and weights of meat. I refer back to it frequently and it is a good guide for how my oven works.

This stove was also my first experience with a gas stove top and I will never go back now. Yes, I love my stove. Enjoy your new appliances! LM

Thanks for the rack tip. Makes sense to me. I will also check for the cookbook.

Boop

Super Contributor

I have a convection setting on my oven. I use it for things like pizza, chicken nuggets, etc. It cooks fast and makes things crispier. Perfect for pizza.