Respected Contributor

New Sweet Dough recipe I tried yesterday for Cinnamon Rolls

A chef friend gave me this recipe to try, so I did. This makes 12-15 cinnamon rolls.

Use a KA mixer with the dough hook.

In the mixing bowl, dissolve 2 T of ADY in 1 cup of warm milk. Mix and let set for 5 minutes or until bubbles show. Add 1 1/2 t salt, 3/4 c sugar, 1/4 c butter, 1/4 c shortening, 1 egg. Mix then add 3 1/2 c bread flour and 1 1/4 c cake flour. Mix until a dough forms. I put this in a greased bowl and covered with plastic. Let double in size. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface or Silpat Mat. Form a rectangle and smear with some softened butter, sugar and cinnamon. Roll up like a jelly roll and using dental floss cut off 12 or 15 rolls. Place in a lightly greased 9 by 13 inch pan. Let double in size. Bake at 350* for 15-20 minutes. When they come out of the oven brush with melted butter.

You can use this dough to make pan rolls also. Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

My chef friend makes up the cinnamon rolls, but puts them on a baking sheet pan, after they double he puts a dab of pie filling in the center of each roll, then bakes them.

Respected Contributor

Re: New Sweet Dough recipe I tried yesterday for Cinnamon Rolls

I'm trying to figure out what ADY is? Something something yeast is what I'm thinking. Automatic dairy yeast? Absolutely delicious yeast? lol that's not it. All dry yeast?

Esteemed Contributor

Barbarainnc,

One of my favorite things to make, smell and eat, I do so enjoy adding to my various recipes for cinnamon rolls. Thank you so much!!!

Super Contributor

I will try this soon. It sounds like a great recipe.

Super Contributor

On 5/6/2014 Ladybug724 said:

I'm trying to figure out what ADY is? Something something yeast is what I'm thinking. Automatic dairy yeast? Absolutely delicious yeast? lol that's not it. All dry yeast?

Active Dry Yeast

Honored Contributor

gees Louise that sounds good gotta buy cake and bread flour though. I love any kind of bread or yeasty rolls.

Trusted Contributor

This is very similar to the recipe I use, but mine uses all butter and two eggs, and the proportions are slightly different.

I do not see the point of using cake flour and bread flour in this recipe. The primary different is protein level and the bleaching of the cake flour (which denatures the protein). I think it would work with an unbleached all-purpose flour such as King Arthur (the only brand I use).

One suggestion for fillings (I tried for the first time this weekend), after rolling dough out, spread with butter, sprinkle with sugar and the zest of two oranges. It made wonderful orange rolls.

Valued Contributor

Hi B... Thanks so much for sharing this recipe. Sounds wonderful.