Honored Contributor

How about a chocolate pudding pie in a pie shell that's not cooked. LOL!!!

I did that when I first got married. I did not know anything about cooking.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the input, I too bake the apple pie at a high temp and then lower it.  My pie does look like yours only a little browner.  I have the crust pie shield but did not use it this time.  My boo boo.  Was busy with other things.

I use Mutsu apples, get them every year at the apple farm, Windy Brow, but am not as close as I used to be.  Cortlands are good also.  I have learned from my mistakes this year..I do love to bake.  Made a pumpkin last night for

my GS, coming to visit...he took most of it with him.  Thanks everyone for your great results in baking!!

Esteemed Contributor

I bake a lot of apple pies all year long, and a gadget that I recently discovered to be worth its weight in gold is the Progressive 16-slice apple slicer, available on Amazon and sometimes at local baking supply stores. You have to use a fair amount of pressure to get it through an apple, but the beautiful uniform slices it produces are wonderful for pies (or snacking), and it has a little "pusher" to help you release the slices and core without having to touch the sharp cutting edges. I never used the eight-slice version because I would've had to reslice the apples to get them to the right size/thickness and it was faster to just use a knife, but the 16-slicer is a real timesaver.

Happy baking!

Trusted Contributor

Re: New Pie Territory

[ Edited ]

What an interesting post -- I had never heard of "rebaking" a pie. 

Even though I like apples, apple has never been one of my favorite pies.  I did taste a sample of one of Sam's Club's apple pies just before Thanksgiving (it was one of the very large size pies).  What I liked about it was that the apples were quite firm and not the "mush" that ruins some apple pies for me -- sounds like that may be exactly the apple pie you didn't like. 

At any rate, I'm glad to know rebaking is possible.  Thanks for sharing.

Valued Contributor

You have to be careful, some apples will not cook down and remain firm.  Some people like this. I for one like a cooked soft apple in my pie.  Grew up near several apple orchards and love crispy apples, soft cooked!

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG This was an interesting post! I don't know if you are still monitoring it, but I'm just getting back after a long Thanksgiving. I never heard of rebaking a pie. After 50 years of baking pies, I'm pretty well set in my ways. I know what kind of apples I like (Macintosh) and whether or not to top the pie ( apple, yes; other fruits and pumpkin, no). These days, I don't have time to experiment on the holidays. If you are going to change something out for a holiday, I would suggest you practice with the new ingredient before the holiday. These days I know to nearly the minute how long it will take to make and bake a pie to doneness.